Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Does "Why do you think that is?" mean "Why do you think that is unscientific"?

----------
I support to seek cultural heritage status for TCM and put it into museum. TCM is a cultural, although unscientific, heritage.

14. It seems like more rich people in Western countries are embracing TCM while more people in China question its value.

I consider it as part of anti-science and anti-culture movement in Western countries. Since modern medicine can't cure every disease, the alternative medicines, like any pseudo-sciences and superstitions, can always exploit people's ignorance and weakness, and will have soils to survive and grow.

Source

Last edited by a moderator:

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Does "Why do you think that is?" mean "Why do you think that is unscientific"?
I take it to mean 'What do you think the reason is?'

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
I had to follow your link and read to the very end to finally find the words, 'Why do you think that is?'

In the context it means, why do you think more rich people in Western countries are embracing TCM while more people in China question its value?

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I had to follow your link and read to the very end to finally find the words, 'Why do you think that is?'

In the context it means, why do you think more rich people in Western countries are embracing TCM while more people in China question its value?

"why do you think more rich people in Western countries are embracing TCM while more people in China question its value?"====>>>

What do you think about why more rich people in Western countries are embracing TCM while more people in China question its value?

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
What do you think about why more rich people in Western countries are embracing TCM while more people in China question its value?
What do you think is the reason why ...

more rich people in Western countries are embracing TCM while more people in China question its value
In the context there, it seems that the above is what the interviewer said rather than what the respondent (you) thought.

Last edited:

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
Of course it's what the interviewer said. The interviewer is the one asking the questions. The interviewer is the one that asked, 'Why do you think that is? And GoodTaste is the one that asked us what it meant, not what the answer should be.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
What do you think is the reason why ...
No. "What do you think is the reason that ..."
The reason [STRIKE]why[/STRIKE] that I say that is that it sounds more literate.
"The reason I say that ..." You can leave out 'that'. I'm not sure of places where you can leave out 'why'. This alone suggests 'why' doesn't belong there.
Others might not agree.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Exactly. As I said, others might disagree.