Why I am always nervous when speaking English?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

I have been studied English for over 25 years and every body says that my English is good. And I don't think that they are just making my confortable or confidence. But whenever I speaking English, especially before Chinese people who speaks English better than I, I will be extremely neversous, such as sweety in hands, etc. Could you give me any suggestions as how can I overcome this kind of nervous? Thanks in advance.

Red5

Webmaster, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Being nervous is natural, and I don't think you have much to worry about; I think it must be due to your confidence level. How often do you get a chance to speak English?

J

jwschang

chutian said:
I have been studied English for over 25 years and every body says that my English is good. And I don't think that they are just making my confortable or confidence. But whenever I speaking English, especially before Chinese people who speaks English better than I, I will be extremely neversous, such as sweety in hands, etc. Could you give me any suggestions as how can I overcome this kind of nervous? Thanks in advance.

try thinking of a foreigner speaking chinese. most people (chinese) listening would think it is marvelous, even though the foreigner may not be speaking it too correctly.

in front of other chinese who speak english better than you, you could start by saying "my english is not good, please forgive me if i make mistakes". :)

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Relax- your English is fine.If you can write this well, you will have no problems being understood. ;-)

Member Type
Other
chutian said:
But whenever I speaking English, especially before Chinese people who speaks English better than I, I will be extremely neversous, such as sweety in hands, etc. Could you give me any suggestions as how can I overcome this kind of nervous? Thanks in advance.

By not thinking that you speak bad English or your English is not good. Because it's a human nature that he do more mistakes when he tries to be a perfect,don't try to be a perfect in your English but try to be good :wink:
Gook luck

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Excellent advice, Proud, and nice to see you again. ;-)

huy_njc

I also have the same problem with my lack of confidence. In an oral test, I have some ideas, but i don't know how to express fluently. I always stammer badly without being able to give the answer for the examiner's question. Therefore I've nerver get good marks in my oral tests. Can you give me some advises? thanks in advance. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.