Portuguese
Home Country
Tuvalu
Current Location
Tuvalu
hi,

is the following sentence ok?

"is there a transfer ticket machine here?"

if so, i wonder why some people here do not understand this kind of question.

i usually need to rephrase it like "i am looking for a transfer ticket machine, pls" and only then they understand what i mean.

does the sentence in bold sound odd?

should i avoid starting sentences with "is there"?

thanks,
jc

Anglika

No Longer With Us
Member Type
Other
hi,

i usually need to rephrase it like "i am looking for a transfer ticket machine, pls" and only then they understand what i mean.

thanks,
jc

As a sentence, it is fine. However, if "they" do not understand you, then yes, avoid asking in this way.

You will just have to see if "Is there a xxxxx" is understood in other contexts.

riverkid

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher
hi,

thanks,
jc

Are you still in Canada, JC? Maybe the machines are not called that. And one more point. I don't know how strong your accent is [and I'm not saying it's bad/unnatural] but many people, but when first faced with a "foreign" accent, tend to freeze mentally. They may well understand the first question but the look on their face may cause you to think they don't.

This has happened to me a quite a bit. I thought my pronunciation of the new language was good but I found that it took a few repeats for natives to understand me.

IvanV

Member Type
Other
This has happened to me a quite a bit. I thought my pronunciation of the new language was good but I found that it took a few repeats for natives to understand me.
Like me in the US... :lol: :shock:

jctgf

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Tuvalu
Current Location
Tuvalu
hi,

yes, I am still in canada and yes, I am convinced my accent is not good.

River, you have a good point: maybe the name of the machine is wrong ...

It's really very difficult to "tune" your accent so that you are understood and speak confortably at the same time.

I was in a tour and there were also Canadianas, Irishes, Scotishes and Australians. For many (many!) times the Scothishes couldn't understand what the canadian was saying. A little (little!) change in the accent and they can't communicate.

I don't see this kind of problem happening between Brasilians and Portugueses, for example. Brasilians and Portugueses understand each other perfectly, despite of the huge (huge!) difference in the accent. I wonder why.

Hey, Ivan, I am happy to know that I am not the only one who have such a problem.

thanks,
jc

Anglika

No Longer With Us
Member Type
Other
hi,

yes, I am still in canada and yes, I am convinced my accent is not good.

River, you have a good point: maybe the name of the machine is wrong ...

It's really very difficult to "tune" your accent so that you are understood and speak confortably at the same time.

I was in a tour and there were also Canadianas, Irishes, Scotishes [Canadians, Irish and Scots] and Australians. For many (many!) times the Scothishes [Scots] couldn't understand what the canadian was saying. A little (little!) change in the accent and they can't communicate.

I don't see this kind of problem happening between Brasilians and Portugueses [Portuguese] , for example. Brasilians and Portugueses [Portuguese] understand each other perfectly, despite of the huge (huge!) difference in the accent. I wonder why.

Hey, Ivan, I am happy to know that I am not the only one who have such a problem.

thanks,
jc

True for anyone working in a foreign language!:shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.