Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Scotland
Current Location
Thailand
A common error the (Thai) students in my school make is "I go to home". There was a discussion in our teachers room today about explaining this but none of us could come up with a reason why this is incorrect.

You can go to school, go to church etc but you can't go to home. We know it's wrong but can't come up with reason beyond "it just is"

Any ideas?

BobK

Harmless drudge
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Maybe the word "homeward" comes into it.... [Still thinking (is there an icon for that?)...]

b

wace

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
My guess is that 'home' in the phrase 'go home' takes on an adverbial value, rather like saying 'to go south'. You couldn't possibly say 'to go to south', could you?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
We know it's wrong but can't come up with reason beyond "it just is"
That's an entirely respectable explanation, and it also happens to be right. :-D
That's just how we say it.

wace

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Whose explanation is 'entirely respectable'?

engee30

Key Member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
England
Whose explanation is 'entirely respectable'?

Jamiep's. :)
Look at the post above yours - there's a box of blue colour containing the previous poster's comments to which Raymott was referring in his post.

Look at this post and what can you see now? Again, there's a blue box, but this time with your comments from your previous post, and I am referring to your post in my post now.

wace

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Thanks
that was an 'entirely respectable' (and detailed) reply!

engee30

Key Member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
England

jamiep

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Scotland
Current Location
Thailand
Thanks for the replies.

Given that some of the students struggle to understand the difference between a noun and a verb when asked, even if they can otherwise communicate fairly well, I'll stick with "just is" for now.

ladybird987

Member Type
Student or Learner
Well, maybe it would be advisable to present them parts of the speech. This could help them a lot. Why don't you compair English with Thai? If they are not advanced enough to learn it in English, it would be easy in Thai.

jamiep

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Scotland
Current Location
Thailand
Unfortunately my Thai is nowhere near good enough to make effective comparisons. The languages are radically different so I don't think it would be a goer even if my Thai was better.

BobK

Harmless drudge
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes, it would probably be a big risk. But I do think it's quite likely that there's some 'L1 interference' behind this issue.

b

jamiep

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Scotland
Current Location
Thailand
I should probably qualify the problem in a specific Thai context a bit more. Initially the problem is to get Thais to use the "to" at all. They say things like "I go market", "I go hospital" etc. Then when you get them to start using "to" you have to tell them that you don't use "to" to talk about when they "go home".

You can see the look of confusion and "but you said" on their faces. The thing is I just can't think of why there is an apparent exception here.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I should probably qualify the problem in a specific Thai context a bit more. Initially the problem is to get Thais to use the "to" at all. They say things like "I go market", "I go hospital" etc. Then when you get them to start using "to" you have to tell them that you don't use "to" to talk about when they "go home".

You can see the look of confusion and "but you said" on their faces. The thing is I just can't think of why there is an apparent exception here.
If they have trouble in understanding exceptions to rules, maybe it would be useful to point out a few rule exceptions in Thai (if there are any). Then ask them to explain "why?" This will at least help them understand the concept that the language comes first, and the rules are inferred from the language - not the other around.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Maybe you should explain that "home" is an indefinite concept whereas "house" is definite so "I am going to my house." would be correct.

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
My guess is that 'home' in the phrase 'go home' takes on an adverbial value, rather like saying 'to go south'. You couldn't possibly say 'to go to south', could you?

Sorry to barge in...:oops:
I'd agree with wace, who has pointed out that " 'go home' takes on an adverbial value."

Please allow me to take three adverbs ('abroad', 'here' and 'there') for examples.

go abroad (NOT go to abroad)
come here (NOT come to here)
stay there (NOT stay at there....however, I've heard 'stay in there'...:cry:)

I understand that...prepositions do not precede adverbs.(They do not go together, with some exceptions such as....'Are you in there?'

So...'home', as in 'go home', is used as an adverb, I guess.
But...if...'home' is used as a noun, it might be probably...grammatically OK to say...'go to his home' or 'stay at her home.' Am I correct in saying this?:oops:

I'm not a native speaker of English, so if there's any mistake above...
please correct me....and forgive me...:oops:

engee30

Key Member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
England
I think you've just hit the nail on the head, tzfujimino. :up:

wace

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
I'd got there first! Ah!
Just kidding!

jamiep

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Scotland
Current Location
Thailand
I think that this is way to complicated to try and explain to the students at my school, with a few exceptions, but at least it's a bit clearer in my head!

Thanks to all who chipped in.

:)

ladybird987

Member Type
Student or Learner
And have you tried making huge posters on right: go to ...(and couple of examples),
on left: go home, go south, go abroad ?
Maybe they will get it intuitively?

Status
Not open for further replies.