Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
In the name of the Merciful Allah,
Hi, in a introductory text on chemistry, I read this title:" Why Study Chemistry?" My question is: is it possible in English to make a question like this without an auxiliary verb?Thanks ahead.

BobK

Harmless drudge
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes, but not with all question words. It makes it more general - "why [do people, in general] study chemistry?" - what is the general point of studying chemistry?

Similarly "Which refrigerator [would be a good one to buy]?" [There's a magazine just called 'Which?' - about consumer choices. And there have been lots of similar titles: Which computer?, What car?...

But "When" and "How" need a to-infinitive, and do not give the general sense:

He had to visit his aunt, but when to go?

He knew he had to get out, but how to avoid the guards?

Hmm... Maybe these ones with a to-infinitive are completely different. Perhaps some other teacher could help me out...

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Why don't I find this when I read the grammar rules about forming questions?

Offroad

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil

I think it is because not everything can be understood/gotten by reading grammar books, it's needed to read newspapers, magazines and so on.

There are books that are focused on practical English usage, of course, they bring you some grammar, but they can show you how English is really used in everyday communication as well.

BobK

Harmless drudge
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

It's not very formal, but I wouldn't call it especially colloquial. "Why <verb>?" is often used in journalism and other literature - especially the less academic self-help books - "Why diet?" "Why make friends?" "Why learn languages?"... writers often use questions like that at the beginning of a book, with the implication '... and this book will show you how to do it".

As marciobarbalho said, apart from your school books you need to read widely.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.