Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Russian Federation
What is the interrogative form of these sentences?
I will visit him on Saturday? We will help them with their English.

Thank you in advance!

Philly

Member Type
English Teacher
As your question stands, Harry, you need only invert 'will' and the subject to make the interrogative form. The result is a simple question about the future.
If you replace 'will' with 'shall' in the questions, then I would understand each sentence as suggestion or offer to do something.

Harry Smith

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Russian Federation
As your question stands, Harry, you need only invert 'will' and the subject to make the interrogative form. The result is a simple question about the future.
If you replace 'will' with 'shall' in the questions, then I would understand each sentence as suggestion or offer to do something.

Nice explanation! And what do you prefer: Shall I(we).... or Will I (we)....?

Philly

Member Type
English Teacher
If I wanted to (clearly) make a suggestion or offer to do something, I'd use shall. That is one of the (very few) surviving uses of shall in AmE.

Harry Smith

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Russian Federation
If I wanted to (clearly) make a suggestion or offer to do something, I'd use shall. That is one of the (very few) surviving uses of shall in AmE.

Yes, I know. I'm a little anxious about using "Will I(we)......?" Do you ask such questions?

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Will we help him with his English? This sounds fine to me as long as it's not a suggestion- I could be asking you because I am not sure. Will I visit him on Saturday sounds a bit strange as you should know the answer. You could create a context where it would be possible- you're checking with someone who knows your appointments, say, but it's not a very likely question IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.