will vs would

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomasRavenelli

Member Type
Student or Learner
The following sentence is from East of Eden where james Dean says when he borrowed the money from his mother:
I don't think he will know where I got it.
first shouldn't be would instead of will since think suggests some uncertainty.Also I am wondering if he can jump from the future tense "will know" to the past "got" in this way. How this sentence should look like to be without any flaw.

engee30

Key Member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
England
The following sentence is from East of Eden where james Dean says when he borrowed the money from his mother:
first shouldn't be would instead of will since think suggests some uncertainty.Also I am wondering if he can jump from the future tense "will know" to the past "got" in this way. How this sentence should look like to be without any flaw.

I don't think [(that in the future) he will know] [where I got it (in the past)].

I didn't think [(that in the future in the past) he would know] [where I had got it (in the past)].

naomimalan

Member Type
English Teacher

Your sentence from East of Eden is perfectly correct. You could substitute "would" for "will" without much change in meaning.

Yes, of course you can jump from the future "will know" to the past "got" in this way. Language has to reflect the reality of the situation. Try translating it into your own language. Doesn't it work the same way?

Status
Not open for further replies.