Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Iran
At family gatherings, it is my little cousin who always makes the whole family cheerful and puts smiles on our faces. She is the heart and soul of the family and makes all of us appreciate each other. With dimples on her cheeks, her big, light brown eyes, and her long curly black hair, she is easily the most beautiful child ever.

It was written by a teacher.

1) Can I replace the underlined part with "With dimpled cheeks"?

2) What does "appreciate" mean here?

GoesStation

Staff member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
1) Only if you make some other changes: With dimpled cheeks, big, light brown eyes, and long, curly black hair, she is easily the most beautiful child ever.

2) What definition would be appropriate? The first definition on the Google page that opens when I search the word looks perfect to me.

Sarah-Betty

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Iran
Thank you GoesStation. You have been a great help to me.
You know, I can't understand the following sentence, because why do the family appreciate each other instead of appreciating the existence of the child that make them happy?

She is the heart and soul of the family and makes all of us appreciate each other.

GoesStation

Staff member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I can't understand the following sentence, because why does [singular in AmE; I think the plural is OK in BrE] the family appreciate each other instead of appreciating the existence of the child that makes them happy?

She is the heart and soul of the family and makes all of us appreciate each other.

Having one's heart warmed by the presence of a cheerful toddler helps open it to appreciating other people around you. Doesn't it? :)

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It was written by a teacher. One of your teachers?

1) Can I replace the underlined part with "With dimpled cheeks"? Yes — or 'with dimples in her cheeks'.
'It was written by a teacher' is very vague. How did you encounter this text?

Sarah-Betty

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Iran
'It was written by a teacher' is very vague. How did you encounter this text?
No. A native English teacher wrote it. So "on" is wrong. One of my friends has her speech texts proofread.

Last edited: