Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Monica: No you’re fine. All right well, do you think I could take Rachel?
Joey: I’m not sure.
Monica: What?! Come on I am tough! Punch me right here! (Her stomach) As hard as you can!
Joey: Will you relax?! What are you taking this so seriously for? It doesn’t matter.
Monica: Oh really? Okay? Well what would you say if I told you that, y’know, Ross or Chandler could beat you up?
Joey: I would say, "Woman, please!"

I can't make out what Joey said at the final sentence ? Does he mean beating Ross and Chandles is as easy as taking on a woman ? :)

A

Abi

In this instance, 'woman' refers to Monica. What he is implying is that she is being ridiculous. It's a very colloquial thing which is proving really hard to explain.

Please in this case is being used as an abbreviation - for something like 'that would never happen' or 'please don't suggest something so silly'.

Hope that's some vague help! :smilecol:

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
By using 'woman' I think he is implying that she doesn't know what she is talking about- her gender excludes her from an accurate assessment of male strength. ;-)

whl626

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
tdol said:
By using 'woman' I think he is implying that she doesn't know what she is talking about- her gender excludes her from an accurate assessment of male strength. ;-)
:) Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.