womanly

Status
Not open for further replies.

blacknomi

Key Member
Joined
Apr 21, 2004
Member Type
Student or Learner
Maya is funny, incredibily intelligent, sensitive and womanly.


In this sentence, if we describe a lady womanly, what would the characteristics be implied?
 

henry

Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2004
blacknomi said:
Maya is funny, incredibily intelligent, sensitive and womanly.


In this sentence, if we describe a lady womanly, what would the characteristics be implied?

Womanly(syn fiminine) describes qualities, ideas or physical features which a woman is typically or traditionally thought to have:

e.g She has a soft womanly figure.
:D
 

blacknomi

Key Member
Joined
Apr 21, 2004
Member Type
Student or Learner
henry said:
blacknomi said:
Maya is funny, incredibily intelligent, sensitive and womanly.


In this sentence, if we describe a lady womanly, what would the characteristics be implied?

Womanly(syn fiminine) describes qualities, ideas or physical features which a woman is typically or traditionally thought to have:

e.g She has a soft womanly figure.
:D


Danke. henry.
Do you mean "womanly" is closely associated with ideas of "typical" or "traditional"? So if someone is not womanly, we infer that she is not conservative type. Is that right?



sabrina
 

henry

Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2004
blacknomi said:
henry said:
blacknomi said:
Danke. henry.
Do you mean "womanly" is closely associated with ideas of "typical" or "traditional"? So if someone is not womanly, we infer that she is not conservative type. Is that right?



sabrina

Not truely, as womanly can also mean (1) if someone is womanly dressed, she is dressed in a way that people think is typical of a woman or (2) it's very suitable for a woman.

Hope that helps. :D
 

Casiopea

VIP Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2003
Member Type
Other
blacknomi said:
Maya is funny, incredibily intelligent, sensitive and womanly.


In this sentence, if we describe a lady womanly, what would the characteristics be implied?


She is not girlish. She behaves and looks like a woman. :D
 

blacknomi

Key Member
Joined
Apr 21, 2004
Member Type
Student or Learner
henry said:
blacknomi said:
henry said:
blacknomi said:
Danke. henry.
Do you mean "womanly" is closely associated with ideas of "typical" or "traditional"? So if someone is not womanly, we infer that she is not conservative type. Is that right?



sabrina

Not truely, as womanly can also mean (1) if someone is womanly dressed, she is dressed in a way that people think is typical of a woman or (2) it's very suitable for a woman.

Hope that helps. :D

I got your point. "Womanly" can be broadly used in all kinds of idea, such as behavior, the way she talks,dresses and her thoughts,etc. Right?
 

blacknomi

Key Member
Joined
Apr 21, 2004
Member Type
Student or Learner
Casiopea said:
blacknomi said:
Maya is funny, incredibily intelligent, sensitive and womanly.


In this sentence, if we describe a lady womanly, what would the characteristics be implied?


She is not girlish. She behaves and looks like a woman. :D

About the word "girlish", does it carry a bit negative connotation? Either to describe a lady who has immature thoughts or behavior, or to describe a guy who tend to behave or think or dress like a girl? :?:
 

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I'd use 'girlish' for immaturity in a woman, not femininity in a man, we have 'girly' for that. ;-)
 

Casiopea

VIP Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2003
Member Type
Other
tdol said:
I'd use 'girlish' for immaturity in a woman, not femininity in a man, we have 'girly' for that. ;-)

She has a girlish figure. (She has an immature figure?) :shock:
 

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Not a phrase I'd use. But it isn't immaturity there. ;-)
 

RonBee

Moderator
Joined
Feb 9, 2003
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say:
  • all kinds of ideas

:)
 

RonBee

Moderator
Joined
Feb 9, 2003
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top