Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
I have tried to use the formal word " enamoured" or "enamored" in AmE in my sentence. I am wondering if my sentences make sense.

Enamoured with Phil, Anna lent him any amount of money he wanted. Later, he discovered he had a numerous affairs with other women from whom he borrowed a large amount of money. Using the same heart-rendering story about his ill mother, he made the gullible women give him their last money. As soon as he got it, Phil would disappear without a trace, leaving poor women in tears.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I have tried to use the formal word " enamoured", or "enamored" in AmE, in my sentence. I am wondering if my sentences make sense.

Enamoured with Phil, Anna lent him any amount of money he wanted. Later, he discovered he had a numerous affairs with other women from whom he borrowed a large amount of money. Using the same heart-rendering story about his ill mother, he made the gullible women give him their last money. As soon as he got it, Phil would disappear without a trace, leaving poor women in tears.
I've highlighted where you need to make corrections.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have tried to use the formal word " enamoured" or "enamored" in AmE in my sentence. I am wondering if my sentences make sense.

Enamoured with Phil, Anna loaned him any amount of money he wanted. Later, he discovered he had had numerous affairs with other women from whom he borrowed a large amount of money. Using the same heart-rending story about his sick mother, he made the gullible women give him their last money. As soon as he got it, Phil would disappear without a trace, leaving the poor women in tears.

I would say they gave him the money. (You can use "give" even if it is technically a loan. Example: "I gave him $20. He said he will pay me back Tuesday.")

Also, I would say:

He conned the women out of their money.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Enamoured with Phil, Anna lent him any amount of money he wanted. Later, she discovered he had had numerous affairs with other women from whom he also borrowed large amounts of money. Using the same heart-rendering story about his ill mother, he made the gullible women give him the last of their money. As soon as he got it, Phil would disappear without a trace, leaving the poor women in tears.

You used it exactly right.

It's not really formal, just old-fashioned. It's fine for your purposes.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's a familiar story. Except with me it's the other way around. The details are different, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.