Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
I have tried to use "tantrum". I am wondering if my sentences are grammatically correct.

1. Whenever Maria gave her children a bath, they had a tantrum.
2. As Bob and his parents sat in a waiting room in a doctor's practice, he suddenly had a tantrum and started screaming and throwing toys.
3. Jack was tired of his wife's tantrums and told her she should grow up.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'd use "in the waiting room of a doctor's practice (doctor's surgery in BrE)". Note that we commonly say "throw a tantrum" rather than "have a tantrum" but your version is not wrong.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have tried to use "tantrum". I am wondering if my sentences are grammatically correct.

1. Whenever Maria gave her children a bath, they had tantrums. If they bathed together, say a bath. If she bathed them separately, say baths.

2. As Bob and his parents sat in the doctor's waiting room, Bob suddenly had a tantrum and started screaming and throwing toys.
Avoid ambiguous pronouns. I doubt the doctor had the tantrum. I'm betting it was Bob.

3. Jack was tired of his wife's tantrums and told her she should grow up.

In the US, we usually say "had a tantrum," had a fit," or "threw a fit." Some people say "pitched a fit."

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I agree with Ems. Perhaps:

As Bob and his parents sat in the doctor's waiting room, Bob suddenly threw a tantrum and screamed and threw toys.