Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
There were pain and bewilderment in her face, the bewilderment of a pampered child who ( has/had ) always had her own way for the asking and who now, for the first time, (is/was ) in contact with the unpleasantness of life.

:?: It is not homework. I'm just not sure which one right. Pls.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
What about "has/ is"? Pls.

No, has/is wouldn't be correct because of the past tense "were" used at the beginning. I would write "was" instead of "were" by the way.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hmm. If I think of this type of person as simply an archetype, then it's timeless and has/is works. If you are describing that particular person at that particular time, then I agree with the others.

meobeo

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Australia
I would write "was" instead of "were" by the way.
Can you please explain a bit more about that? I thought "were" should be used because the author was not refering to one single thing. Is it a rule that when 2 uncoutable nouns go together, you would treat them as a singular unit? I've been puzzled by this when I saw an English friend of mine write on her FB wall: "Poverty and homelessness wins." Thanks!

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
You're correct, but Bhai is also right in that the speaker can interpret the description as a single expression of two qualities, and can use the singular to express this perception.

Status
Not open for further replies.