Words with different pronuntiations in AE and BE

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Masfer

Yesterday, one of my teacher (he's danish) made a joke about the British accent (BA) of one of his colleagues. He pronounced schedule with BA instead of American Accent (AA). I found this kind of funny since I didn't know this word has two different pronunciation (I only knew the american one).

Do you know other words with different pronunciation in BE and AE?

Thanks!

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

There don't seem to me to be all that many. Every once in a while I see a reporter from Sky News, and I don't recall any pronunciations that are significantly different (aside from the British accent) than what I hear here (USA). Perhaps somebody else will have a different opinion.

(Say: one of my teachers)

:)

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Masfer said:
Yesterday, one of my teacher (he's danish) made a joke about the British accent (BA) of one of his colleagues. He pronounced schedule with BA instead of American Accent (AA). I found this kind of funny since I didn't know this word has two different pronunciation (I only knew the american one).

Thanks!

migrainenoun, a recurrent throbbing headache often with nausea and visual disturbance.

AA = [mai'] my-grain
BE = [mi'] me-grain

:D

M

Masfer

re

I've been thinking about this and there are several words with different pronunciation, such as neither or either, but the difference is basically how the i is pronounced [ai] or . I think is is not the same case as schedule that is pronounced differently, but not because of the i. I hope you know what I mean :lol:

Red5

Webmaster, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Don't forget the classic tomato...

Tomahtow

Tomaytow

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Red5 said:
Don't forget the classic tomato...

Tomahtow

Tomaytow

Oh yeah! And then there's potaytoe, potahtoe. :wink:

Isn't there a song about that? In a musical?

:D

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: re

Masfer said:
I've been thinking about this and there are several words with different pronunciation, such as neither or either, but the difference is basically how the i is pronounced [ai] or . I think is is not the same case as schedule that is pronounced differently, but not because of the i. I hope you know what I mean :lol:

The case of neither/either might be a case of different pronunciations between BE and AE, but those two are also pronounced differently in different parts of the United States. For example, in Boston they say neyether.

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
In BE, we use the two pronunciations for 'either'. Most people stick to one, but I do have a friend who seems to use both. ;-)

makaveli

Member Type
Other
OK, glad this one came up as I was meaning to ask this to one of the AE fraternity here! 8)

How do you differentiate in pronouncing Aluminium and illuminate?

There is a huge difference in your pronunciation compared to BE, our almost singular 'U' emphasis in the word to your Alooominum where the second 'i' also appears to be glossed over! Following this I cannot appear to hear any difference even subtly in illumination or any word that begins with 'illum'.

Regards

M.

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
We pronounce both aluminum and illuminate with a long u. Also, in AE there is not usually a second i in aluminum.

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
jwschang said:
RonBee said:
We pronounce both aluminum and illuminate with a long u. Also, in AE there is not usually a second i in aluminum.

Is "route" another word spoken differently? :wink:

In AE route is pronounced both root and rout. (The first rhymes with boot or loot. The second rhymes with mouth or south.)

J

jwschang

RonBee said:
In AE route is pronounced both root and rout. (The first rhymes with boot or loot. The second rhymes with mouth or south.)

The second I've heard in AE, but the first in BE. Are the two a regional difference in AE?

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
jwschang said:
RonBee said:

The second I've heard in AE, but the first in BE. Are the two a regional difference in AE?

I don't know if it's a regional difference. I do know that some people pronounce it one way and some people pronounce it the other way.

:wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.