Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
I am trying to form a sentence would you help me form it.

"Hagia Sophia is a work which stands upon arches and columns."

Here Hagia Sophia is the historical building in Istanbul, which is built between the years of 532 and 537.

Thank you.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I am trying to form a sentence. Would you help me form it?

"Hagia Sophia is a work which stands upon arches and columns."

Hagia Sophia is a building which is partly* supported on arches and columns.

(* "Partly" because the structure of the building is a lot more than arches and columns. The main features are the dome and minarets, with a lot of masonry wall and vaulted ceiling constructiions)

Here Hagia Sophia is [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] a historical building in Istanbul, which [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] was built between [STRIKE]the years of [/STRIKE] 532 and 537 A.D.

Thank you.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"the years of" is grammatically incorrect in the above. You could have used "the years" - it would be redundant though not grammatically incorrect.
"stands upon" doesn't work because it sounds as if the whole building is above the columns and arches. It's not. The arches and columns are part of the building.

Last edited by a moderator:

hhtt21

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
"the years of" is grammatically incorrect. You could have used "the years" - it would be redundant though not grammatically incorrect.
"stands upon" doesn't work because it sounds as if the whole building is above the columns and arches. It's not. The arches and columns are part of the building.

But what is the problem with work vice building. Because it's an important building for architectural reasons, isn't it a work?

Thank you.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Click here to see images of the Hagia Sophia.

It's definitely a building or group of buildings - not what we call a work.

J

J&K Tutoring

The best understanding for me of what the OP started with is to assume they are talking of the ceiling art work. In that sense the works are indeed "standing upon arches and columns" as opposed to hanging in a frame on a wall.

I propose: The Hagia Sophia ceiling is a work of art standing upon arches and columns.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I think "ceiling" should be plural in a massive building like that.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
But what is the problem with work [STRIKE]vice[/STRIKE] versus building.
See above. Versus is often abbreviated as vs.

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think hhtt21 did mean the building itself is a work of art. Architects are not artists so we generally don't call a building a work.

hhtt21

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
I think hhtt21 did mean the building itself is a work of art. Architects are not artists so we generally don't call a building a work.

Leonardo DaVinci was an architecture. For one of his buildings how can we say Leonardo DaVinci's famous building?

Thank you.

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
He was an "architect" not "architecture". He wore many hats and he certainly incorporated his artistic talent to many of his creations and designs but again when we refer to his works we refer to his paintings or sculptures.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Leonardo DaVinci was an architecture. For one of his buildings how can we say Leonardo DaVinci's famous building?
You could say Among Da Vinci's most famous works are the designs of Milan's cathedral and the Seattle Space Needle. (I don't recommend that you use this sentence as written.)

hhtt21

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
You could say Among Da Vinci's most famous works are the designs of Milan's cathedral and the Seattle Space Needle. (I don't recommend that you use this sentence as written.)

Would you please explain why you don't recommend it to me, though that sentence is what I have been looking for?

Thank you.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Would you please explain why you don't recommend it to me, though that sentence is what I have been looking for?

Thank you.
Obviously the Space Needle being a much newer building is not a work of Leonardo da Vinci. That is just a an example sentence which is not necessarily factual.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

I've underlined and highlighted two key words in my post. You can use my example as a model, but it includes misinformation which you shouldn't repeat.