would like to have the followings for us to groom our supports to Microsoft SQL Serve

fenglish

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi,

I found this sentence from a document, and I'm translating it to Chinese.

would like to have the followings for us to groom our supports to Microsoft SQL Server application.

1). ... item 1 ...
2). ... item 2 ...
N). ... item n ...

I have the following questions:

Q1). Is there any grammar problem in the above sentence? What is the "subject" and what is the "object"?

For my understanding, it has two meanings. I have separated it by "[ ]" for better explanation.

Meaning A:

[We] [would like to have the followings] [to groom our supports to Microsoft SQL Server application].

Meaning B:

[would like to have the followings for] [us to groom our supports to Microsoft SQL Server application.]

Q2). What is the meaning of "our supports"?

For me:

it may mean "our IT supports" (the support is a person),
but it may also mean "our support for the Microsoft..."(the support is NOT a person).

Thanks.

Last edited:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
That fragment you quoted has mistakes, and I dare say it was likely written by a non-native speaker of English. Where did you find it, and why are you trying to translate it?
Note also that you should use "the following" instead of the "the followings".

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi,

I found this sentence from a document, and I'm translating it to Chinese.

We would like to have the following for us to groom our support for/of Microsoft SQL S.

I have the following questions:

Q1). Is there any grammar problem in the above sentence?

See my corrections. I don't understand what "groom our support" means, though, so I don't know whether for or of is right. (To was wrong.)

What is the "subject"

We

and what is the "object"?

to have. (It's a noun infinitive. You can look that up.)

For my understanding, it has two meanings. I have separated it by "[ ]" for better explanation.

Meaning A: [We] [would like to have the followings] [to groom our supports to Microsoft SQL Server application].

Meaning B: [would like to have the followings for] [us to groom our supports to Microsoft SQL Server application.]

Those are two ways to say the same thing.

Q2). What is the meaning of "our supports"?

For me, it may mean "our IT supports" (the support is a person), but it may also mean "our support for the Microsoft..."(the support is NOT a person).

Aha! Now that you mention it, I'll bet that support is a person. Then "groom our supp
ort" would make sense and of would be the right preposition.

Thanks.
You might double-check that with an IT person. We know English here, but we don't all know computer-ese.

fenglish

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
That fragment you quoted has mistakes, and I dare say it was likely written by a non-native speaker of English. Where did you find it, and why are you trying to translate it?
Note also that you should use "the following" instead of the "the followings".

Thank you. Your simple answer saved me lots of time and proved that quoted sentence is wrong.

You are right. That sentence was written by an IT person from Hong Kong.

I used "the followings" because I just tried to split the original sentence into several parts for explanation.

I have to translate it to Chinese because the government department required that all English documents must have Chinese translation.

I have spent lots of time for translation because most of the English sentences in such document may have grammar problem. I have to guess the original meaning for it.

Last edited:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I used "the followings" because I just tried to split the original sentence into several parts for explanation.
You can use "the following" + plural noun - for example:
The following parts.
The following excerpts.