Would you check this sentence?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

Guest
Hello

I'd like to ask about #1.
#1: It is necessary that she should do something for her son.

I think you also write #2 instead of #1. What I want to know is whether there is the case where you use "does" like #3.

Here are the sentences:
#2 It is necessary that she do something for her son.
#3 It is necessary that she does something for her son.

I look forward to a comment.
thank you.
Lina
 

henry

Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2004
Lina said:
Hello

I'd like to ask about #1.
#1: It is necessary that she should do something for her son.

I think you also write #2 instead of #1. What I want to know is whether there is the case where you use "does" like #3.

Here are the sentences:
#2 It is necessary that she do something for her son.
#3 It is necessary that she does something for her son.

I look forward to a comment.
thank you.
Lina

Hi Lina,

#1 and #3 are OK. I don't know why you use " do " in #2, it must be "does" because of the third person "she".
May be what you want to know is emphasizing what's said.
eg. It's necessary that she does understand her son.
 

RonBee

Moderator
Joined
Feb 9, 2003
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say either:
  • She should do something for her son.
Or:
  • It is necessary that she do something for her son.
While "She does something for her son" is, of course, perfectly grammatical, "It is necessary that she does something for her son" is not.

:)
 

henry

Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2004
While "She does something for her son" is, of course, perfectly grammatical, "It is necessary that she does something for her son" is not.

:)

Hi RonBee,

:?: I didn't get your explanation. Please could you provide me with more examples.
 

RonBee

Moderator
Joined
Feb 9, 2003
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
henry said:
While "She does something for her son" is, of course, perfectly grammatical, "It is necessary that she does something for her son" is not.

:)

Hi RonBee,

:?: I didn't get your explanation. Please could you provide me with more examples.

:oops: I'm sorry. I have changed my mind. I have decided that sentences two and three are both correct. However, although I have tried to think of one, I do not have an explanation (especially for number two). Hopefully, Cas, Tdol or MikeNewYork will chime in with some comments. :oops:

Please be patient. :(
 

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
henry said:
Lina said:
Hello

I'd like to ask about #1.
#1: It is necessary that she should do something for her son.

I think you also write #2 instead of #1. What I want to know is whether there is the case where you use "does" like #3.

Here are the sentences:
#2 It is necessary that she do something for her son.
#3 It is necessary that she does something for her son.

I look forward to a comment.
thank you.
Lina

Hi Lina,

#1 and #3 are OK. I don't know why you use " do " in #2, it must be "does" because of the third person "she".
May be what you want to know is emphasizing what's said.
eg. It's necessary that she does understand her son.

Actually,number two is OK- it is a present subjunctive. Such a form is less common in BE, where it has almost disappeared, than in AE, where it still has its fans. ;-)
 

RonBee

Moderator
Joined
Feb 9, 2003
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
tdol said:
henry said:
Lina said:
Hello

I'd like to ask about #1.
#1: It is necessary that she should do something for her son.

I think you also write #2 instead of #1. What I want to know is whether there is the case where you use "does" like #3.

Here are the sentences:
#2 It is necessary that she do something for her son.
#3 It is necessary that she does something for her son.

I look forward to a comment.
thank you.
Lina

Hi Lina,

#1 and #3 are OK. I don't know why you use " do " in #2, it must be "does" because of the third person "she".
May be what you want to know is emphasizing what's said.
eg. It's necessary that she does understand her son.

Actually,number two is OK- it is a present subjunctive. Such a form is less common in BE, where it has almost disappeared, than in AE, where it still has its fans. ;-)

Thanks, Tdol. Perhaps you can elaborate on the present subjunctive somewhat? (I think I confused myself initially.)

(I apologize for any confusion caused by my errror.)

:)
 

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
RonBee said:
Thanks, Tdol. Perhaps you can elaborate on the present subjunctive somewhat? (I think I confused myself initially.)

(I apologize for any confusion caused by my errror.)

:)

The present subjunctive (marked by no third person inflection) is used in noun clauses that come after a number of verbs, particularly those associated with urgency or obligation.

It is important that John leave now.
It is urgent that he be admitted immediately.
It necessary that she appear in court.
It is time that he left.
It is high time that John begin his project.
 

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
In British English, this form is becoming increasingly rare and formal. ;-)
 

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
tdol said:
In British English, this form is becoming increasingly rare and formal. ;-)

And it's a darned shame too. :roll:
 

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I can't say I miss it much.;-)
 

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
tdol said:
I can't say I miss it much.;-)

Hearing indicative verbs in that setting grates on my cerebrum. :evil:
 

RonBee

Moderator
Joined
Feb 9, 2003
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
MikeNewYork said:
RonBee said:
Thanks, Tdol. Perhaps you can elaborate on the present subjunctive somewhat? (I think I confused myself initially.)

(I apologize for any confusion caused by my errror.)

:)

The present subjunctive (marked by no third person inflection) is used in noun clauses that come after a number of verbs, particularly those associated with urgency or obligation.

It is important that John leave now.
It is urgent that he be admitted immediately.
It necessary that she appear in court.
It is time that he left.
It is high time that John begin his project.

Thanks, Mike! I have copied that one for my notebook. :D

(Don't you just love my spelling of error?)

:)
 

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
RonBee said:
Thanks, Mike! I have copied that one for my notebook. :D

(Don't you just love my spelling of error?)

:)

You're welcome and I did! :lol:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top