yesterday night? last night?

Status
Not open for further replies.

5iang

I'm sure that languages change at all times. But could it be possible that someone would say "yesterday night" instead of "last night" now? Is it acceptable?
Thank you.

BobK

Harmless drudge
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
So far as I am aware, it always has been acceptable and it is certainly possible.

[Davies/BYU] BYU-BNC: British National Corpus

It's interesting, though, that while 'last night' and 'yesterday night' are both acceptable, only 'yesterday evening' is (in my dialect, that is, which is pretty middle-of-the-road - my son once had a nursery rhyme tape with a song that started 'Last evening Cousin Peter came' - which struck me as very odd).

http://sara.natcorp.ox.ac.uk/cgi-bin/saraWeb?qy=yesterday+evening (90 hits)

but

http://sara.natcorp.ox.ac.uk/cgi-bin/saraWeb?qy=last+evening (64 hits)

b

riverkid

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher
This issue has come up before, in my ESL experience, and I found that BrE speakers found 'yesterday night' acceptable, much to my surprise as it was something I had never come across. There's no reason, of course that it couldn't be or isn't but it is still strange in my neck of the woods.

'last evening' is copasetic.

Reactions: Orz

Horsa

Member Type
English Teacher
Yes, I agree I have no problem with 'yesterday night' either.

'Last evening' is 'acceptable' to me but I probably wouldn't describe it as 'very acceptable' as it sounds somewhat old-fashioned to my ear.

I'd be interested in what North Americans feel about 'tomorrow night' which would seem to be similar to 'yesterday night' is that also odd?

Banned
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Yes, I agree I have no problem with 'yesterday night' either.

'Last evening' is 'acceptable' to me but I probably wouldn't describe it as 'very acceptable' as it sounds somewhat old-fashioned to my ear.

I'd be interested in what North Americans feel about 'tomorrow night' which would seem to be similar to 'yesterday night' is that also odd?
No, "tomorrow evening/night" is the common expression.

linsuman

Member Type
English Teacher
"Yesterday night" in the U.S.A. marks you as a foreigner. We always say "las' night." My ESL students always say "yesterday night." As for tomorrow night, if we say, "Monday night" the person would respond, "Tomorrow?" I don't know of any option for tomorrow nor why we always say last night. It is possible, but pretty far fetched, that because we have a tendency to shorten everything, we prefer the shorter "last" to the longer "yesterday"-? However, we DO say "yesterday afternoon" not "last afternoon." None of my etymology or ESL books address this. Now I'm hooked on finding an answer. I always tell my students that U.S. Americans usually take the path of least resistance.

Reactions: Orz

Horsa

Member Type
English Teacher
"Yesterday night" in the U.S.A. marks you as a foreigner. We always say "las' night."

Hold on there - we have a misunderstanding I think. To me 'yesterday night' is not the same as 'last night'. It refers to the night before 'last night'

NearThere

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
United States
I'm learning new things everyday on this forum. Thank you so much!

Banned
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
"Yesterday night" in the U.S.A. marks you as a foreigner. We always say "las' night."

Hold on there - we have a misunderstanding I think. To me 'yesterday night' is not the same as 'last night'. It refers to the night before 'last night' Maybe that's a point against using "yesterday night". Many people say 'the night before last'.

riverkid

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher

Hold on there - we have a misunderstanding I think. To me 'yesterday night' is not the same as 'last night'. It refers to the night before 'last night'

At least one. :) Are Brits considered "foreigners"?

I'm shocked to hear that "yesterday night" means "the day before yesterday's night". Have I read that right? :-?

That's idiom for ya'.

blouen

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
Guys, how about Yesternight. What do you think of it? I saw it in the dictionary.

blouen

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
I see. Haven't heard of someone using these words. Perhaps "Yesterday evening" and "last night" would be enough.

BobK

Harmless drudge
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
...It is possible, but pretty far fetched, that because we have a tendency to shorten everything, we prefer the shorter "last" to the longer "yesterday"-? ...

On the subject of shortening, there's the very old (Elizabethan?) abbreviation of 'yesterday evening' - yestre'en. This can be safely ignored for purposes of ELT!

b

PS Anglika got there first :oops:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.