Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I was trying to do the exercise below. It ask that you draw a tree diagram with the sentence
The very small boy kissed the platypus.
| | | | | | |
det adv adj N verb det N

The word very is an adverb followed by an adjective. Looking at the rules available
S-adv S,
VP- Adv Vp
and Vp-Vp Adv. makes it hard to draw a tree from what I understand because

“The” is a determiner and very is an adverb. The only way to get Det is through the rule NP-Det N'.

I am lost at how to construct a tree from this, the only thing I can come up with is that this is an adverb phrase...but does that even make sense?

Super Sonic

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Hi Bmack,

We went over exactly the same example last week in our Syntax class :D
I don't know how I could draw a tree here, but I can help you with the phrasal structures I think.

"The very small boy" is an NP because the head of the phrase is a noun: S-NP-D-The/NP-AP-AP-A-very/NP-AP-A-small/NP-N-boy,

"kissed the platypus" is a VP because the head is a verb: S-VP-V-kissed/VP-NP-D-the/VP-NP-N-platypus. I hope I was clear.

P.S.: Not a teacher nor a native speaker, just a Linguistics student.

Last edited:

Bmack

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi Bmack,

We went over exactly the same example last week in our Syntax class :D
I don't know how I could draw a tree here, but I can help you with the phrasal structures I think.

"The very small boy" is an NP because the head of the phrase is a noun: S-NP-D-The/NP-AP-AP-A-very/NP-AP-A-small/NP-N-boy,

"kissed the platypus" is a VP because the head is a verb: S-VP-V-kissed/VP-NP-D-the/VP-NP-N-platypus. I hope I was clear.

P.S.: Not a teacher nor a native speaker, just a Linguistics student.

I think I understand what you mean. When you have AP you mean adverb phrase and adj phrase?

Super Sonic

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
According to my textbook, an AP stands for both an adjective phrase and an adverb phrase, but I suggest that you wait for an expert.

Status
Not open for further replies.