Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
What does this "you could take a break" mean here?
"to take a leave from school and visit your home" or something? I can't get what it implies.

20)I confess to having been a bit homesick during my first fall away from home. Students studying abroad / often feel so isolated. To those, some people who once found themselves in similar boats say, “If you are truly miserable, you could take a break.” Others advise, “Sometimes it takes a while to get used to a new place and make friends. After staying a year, you’ll think (that) you gave yourself a challenge and be certain of your decision.” So, what would you tell these students in trouble? We need comments from those who have a wealth of knowledge and experience on this matter. Please use the student council online board to let us know.

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
To those, some people who once found themselves in similar boats say, “If you are truly miserable, you could take a break.”

not a teacher

To "take a break" often means to make a change in your routine in order to do something different that refreshes/reinvigorates you. This could be for a very short period or something lasting much longer.
I've been so busy this morning, I need to take a break and have a strong coffee.
I take a break from my studies one night a week and go to a movie.
I had some leave entitlement so I took a break from work for a few weeks and went to the coast.

In your example I feel the suggestion is that the miserable student should leave his or her studies for a period and do something else. It may be visiting home, as you suggest, or perhaps a temporary job or some local travel – anything but studying.

Status
Not open for further replies.