You don't say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

blacknomi

Key Member
Joined
Apr 21, 2004
Member Type
Student or Learner
You don't say!is used to show that you are not at all surprised by what someone has just told you. This is the definition by LongMan Web dictionary. Could you kindly provide me more comprehensible examples from daily life?
 

RonBee

Moderator
Joined
Feb 9, 2003
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A: George W. Bush is the President of the United States.
B: You don't say!

:)
 

blacknomi

Key Member
Joined
Apr 21, 2004
Member Type
Student or Learner
RonBee said:
A: George W. Bush is the President of the United States.
B: You don't say!

:)

A: George W. Bush is the President of the United States.
B: Duh. ( Needless to say.)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

How's that?
 

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
blacknomi said:
You don't say!is used to show that you are not at all surprised by what someone has just told you. This is the definition by LongMan Web dictionary. Could you kindly provide me more comprehensible examples from daily life?

As far as I know, that phrase can also be used to express genuine surprise. The "not surprised" use is ironic and sarcastic.

I just won the lottery.
You don't say! (genuine)

Ron's sentence about George W, provoked the sarcastic version.
 

blacknomi

Key Member
Joined
Apr 21, 2004
Member Type
Student or Learner
MikeNewYork said:
blacknomi said:
You don't say!is used to show that you are not at all surprised by what someone has just told you. This is the definition by LongMan Web dictionary. Could you kindly provide me more comprehensible examples from daily life?

As far as I know, that phrase can also be used to express genuine surprise. The "not surprised" use is ironic and sarcastic.

I just won the lottery.
You don't say! (genuine)

Ron's sentence about George W, provoked the sarcastic version.


Thank you very much. Glad you come back. :cheers:
 

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
blacknomi said:
MikeNewYork said:
blacknomi said:
You don't say!is used to show that you are not at all surprised by what someone has just told you. This is the definition by LongMan Web dictionary. Could you kindly provide me more comprehensible examples from daily life?

As far as I know, that phrase can also be used to express genuine surprise. The "not surprised" use is ironic and sarcastic.

I just won the lottery.
You don't say! (genuine)

Ron's sentence about George W, provoked the sarcastic version.


Thank you very much. Glad you come back. :cheers:

You're welcome. I'm glad to have the time to be back. :wink:
 

RonBee

Moderator
Joined
Feb 9, 2003
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks, Blacknomi! :D

Hey, Mike! I didn't know you went anywhere. :wink:

(Of course, I haven't been posting every day, as used to be the case.)

:)
 

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
RonBee said:
Thanks, Blacknomi! :D

Hey, Mike! I didn't know you went anywhere. :wink:

(Of course, I haven't been posting every day, as used to be the case.)

:)

I was swamped for about a week. Things will be better until the new doctors arrive -- in two short weeks. :cry:
 

RonBee

Moderator
Joined
Feb 9, 2003
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Work is good.

:D
 

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
RonBee said:
Work is good.

:D

It sure beats unemployment. Arbeit macht frei! :roll:
 

RonBee

Moderator
Joined
Feb 9, 2003
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Sprechen Sie Deutsch?

:D
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top