Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
According to the Webster dictionary 'sound like' means 'to seem to be something when heard'.
I wonder how the following sentences can be related to this definition. We see somebody is 'tired' or 'busy'. We cannot hear that!

You sound like you're tired.
You sound like you're busy.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Yes, those sentences are possible.
You sound like you're tired.
For example, I may be talking to that person and their voice sounds hoarse, or they may yawn, or they may have told me that they'd just finished working a very long shift.
You sound like you're busy.
That can similarly also work. Can you think of a scenario for it?

Skrej

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Men in particular show fatigue with a croaky or gravely voice different from their normal pitch. Generally It's not quite as noticeable in women because women's voices tend to be higher pitched to begin with, but you can still recognize it. Our speech also slows down noticeably when we're tired.

Here's an article about voice fatigue.

tulipflower

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Yes, those sentences are possible.

For example, I may be talking to that person and their voice sounds hoarse, or they may yawn, or they may have told me that they'd just finished working a very long shift.

That can similarly also work. Can you think of a scenario for it?
Yeah. I may talk to my friend on the phone and find she is answering her clients at the same time as talking to me. This way, I realize that she is busy based on what I have heard.