Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hi teachers,Telling his student about homework for all days of a specific week (say the week from 21-8-17 to 26-8-17) a Maths teacher says to his student, "Your homework, on each day will be, solve in your notebook all the questions solved and explained in class on that day."We know that the preposition "on" can be omitted there. I want to know, would it be wrong if it is not omitted. Please help.

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Re: inclusion of preposition

That's not wrong, but the first part needs some work. Can you see the issue there?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I have changed your thread title. Titles should include some/all of the words/phrases you are querying.

devpal

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Re: inclusion of preposition

That's not wrong, but the first part needs some work. Can you see the issue there?

No, I can not see any issue there. Please help me with this. Thank you

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi teachers. (Space needed here) Telling his student about the/his/her homework for all the days of a specific week (say the week from 21-8-17 to 26-8-17), a maths teacher says to his student, "Your homework, on each day, will be (no comma here) to solve in your notebook all the questions that we solved and I explained in class on that day." (Space needed here) [STRIKE]We[/STRIKE] I know that the preposition "on" can be omitted there. I want to know (no comma here) if it would [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE] be wrong if it is not omitted. Please help.

Please see my corrections above.

No, the sentence is not wrong if you include "on". Both "that day" and "on that day" are correct in that context. You have used "on that day" twice. I wouldn't use "on" either time but that is simply my preference.

devpal

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
thank you, I was asking about the preposition 'on' used before 'each day'. Grammar books say that 'on' is not used before ''each day'. I want to know, would it be wrong if 'on' is used before 'each day'.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you. I was asking about the preposition 'on' used before 'each day'. Grammar books say that 'on' is not used before 'each day'. I want to know (no comma here) ​if it would [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE] be wrong [STRIKE]if[/STRIKE] to use 'on' [STRIKE]is used[/STRIKE] before 'each day'.

I answered that question clearly in post 5.

Please tell us which grammar books say you must not use "on each day".

Last edited:

devpal

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Thanks.

Last edited: