English Idioms & Idiomatic Expressions
results for letter 'G
- Grinds my gear
- Something that is very annoying grinds your gear.
- Grinning like a shot fox
- (AU) If someone is grinning like a shot fox, they are smiling uncomprehendingly or smugly, looking stupid while smiling, showing that they don't really understand what's going on, like the bared teeth on the corpse of a fox.
- Grist for the mill
- Something that you can use to your advantage is grist for the mill.
('Grist to the mill' is also used.)
- Grow in the telling
- The more you tell it, the larger, wilder, better, etc. the story gets.
- Growing pains
- If a business is going through some growing pains, it is experiencing the typical problems that arise when a company becomes stronger and bigger.
- If you are a guinea-pig, you take part in an experiment of some sort and are used in the testing.
- Gunboat diplomacy
- If a nation conducts its diplomatic relations by threatening military action to get what it wants, it is using gunboat diplomacy.
- Gung ho
- If someone is gung ho about something, they support it blindly and don't think about the consequences.
If you have a question about idioms, ask us about it in our Idioms Discussion Forum. If you know of an idiom that you would like to be listed here, please use our online form to suggest an idiom.
Members Get More
- Sign up for free and gain access to many more idioms and slang expressions. Register now