'What if' questions make great icebreakers and are a fun activity to do in class. I like using 'what if' questions for several reasons. They help my adult students get to know each other, helps them to think outside the box, and helps to create a relaxing and positive atmosphere in the classroom. Here's a sample of 'what if' questions that I've used in my adult ESL classes.
· If you could be any animal, what animal would you be and why?
· If you could be invisible for a day, what would you do and why?
· If you could spend a day with a famous person, who would it be and what questions would you ask that person?
· If you could go anywhere in the world for a holiday, where would you go?
· If you had one wish, what would it be?
·If you were a fruit, what fruit would you be and why?
· If you were a candy, what candy would you be and why?
· If someone's underwear were showing, would you tell him or her?
Perhaps, if you'll give them a try, and be pleasantly surprised as I was.
Categories: Lesson Plans & Handouts