English Language Articles
Articles about learning, using and teaching the English language, including advice, tutorials, opinions and lesson plans from various authors and contributors. Articles cover topics from English grammar, spelling and punctuation, through to language teaching, career development, specialisations, and ideas and suggestions for the classroom.
Latest Articles & Notes on English
- How to teach like and would like - Teaching ideas for presenting and practising the differences between “like” for preferences and “would like” for desires etc, including many speaking games.
- How to teach telephoning - What to think about when planning lessons on phone calls in English, with presentation and practice classroom activities.
- How to teach frequency expressions (adverbs of frequency etc) - Teaching tips on and activities for expressions like “usually”, “twice a week”, “once every two weeks” and “every morning”.
- How to teach There is & There are - Teaching tips and interactive classroom activities for “There is/ are” and its negative and question forms.
- How to teach Cambridge First Certificate Writing Part One essays - Teaching tips and classroom activities for the essay task in the updated FCE exam from January 2015.
- 36 fun classroom activities for Present Simple and Continuous - Interactive classroom activities for using both present tenses together, comparing and contrasting their uses. Including speaking activities with minimal resources, ideas for worksheets, and possible uses of technology.
- 35 fun classroom practice activities for Present Continuous (Present Progressive) - Interactive games for speaking practice of am/ is/ are + ing.
- Games for IELTS Speaking Part One, Part Two and Part Three - Games that are great practice for all three parts of the IELTS Speaking exam, either separately or together.
- 56 fun classroom activities for the Present Simple tense - Mainly oral classroom practice activities for routines, habits and other meanings of the Present Simple, including describing processes.
- 21 negotiating in English games - Games for presentation, intensive practice and freer practice of useful phrases for this most difficult and critical of Business English skills.
Richard Flynn (aka Tdol) is an English teacher and the Site Editor here at UsingEnglish.com. Here, he talks about English usage that catches his eye or ear, and looks at language issues that interest or puzzle him.
Browse The Editor's Blog
Formal Letter Writing - Help with formal and business letter writing. A summary of writing rules including outlines for cover letters and letters of enquiry, and abbreviations used in letters.
Tips on Essay Writing - A selection of tips on writing essays including a number of sample essays.
Speaking Out - A collection of thoughts, comments and articles regarding some of the issues and discussion points that have been raised in our ESL Forum.
ERIC Digests - The Educational Resources Information Center (ERIC) Digests are short reports that highlight topics of current interest in foreign language education, ESL, bilingual education, and linguistics.