English Language Articles
Articles about learning, using and teaching the English language, including advice, tutorials, opinions and lesson plans from various authors and contributors. Articles cover topics from English grammar, spelling and punctuation, through to language teaching, career development, specialisations, and ideas and suggestions for the classroom.
Latest Articles & Notes on English
- 36 fun classroom activities for Present Simple and Continuous - Interactive classroom activities for using both present tenses together, comparing and contrasting their uses. Including speaking activities with minimal resources, ideas for worksheets, and possible uses of technology.
- 35 fun classroom practice activities for Present Continuous (Present Progressive) - Interactive games for speaking practice of am/ is/ are + ing.
- Games for IELTS Speaking Part One, Part Two and Part Three - Games that are great practice for all three parts of the IELTS Speaking exam, either separately or together.
- 56 fun classroom activities for the Present Simple tense - Mainly oral classroom practice activities for routines, habits and other meanings of the Present Simple, including describing processes.
- 21 negotiating in English games - Games for presentation, intensive practice and freer practice of useful phrases for this most difficult and critical of Business English skills.
- 19 simple, fun and effective ESL board games - English teaching board games without dice etc that are more fun and better at practising language than those which need such accoutrements, and with many more possible uses.
- 15 ways to teach English with blocks and stacking games - Stacking blocks and other things like plastic kitchen sets to practise numbers, basic maths, times, days of the week, months, dates, the alphabet, phonics, colours, basic questions and answers, shapes, prepositions of position, requests and offers.
- 57 ways to improve your fluency - Short and long term solutions for those who want to speak more quickly and smoothly. Also useful for teachers planning classroom fluency practice.
- Using ball games to teach English - Almost 100 ways to use a ball in EFL classes, plus 13 other kinds of objects you can use the same way if donít want to use a ball
- How to teach the language of trends - Presentation and stimulating practice for describing changes, one of the most important kinds of business/ ESP language.
Richard Flynn (aka Tdol) is an English teacher and the Site Editor here at UsingEnglish.com. Here, he talks about English usage that catches his eye or ear, and looks at language issues that interest or puzzle him.
Browse The Editor's Blog
Formal Letter Writing - Help with formal and business letter writing. A summary of writing rules including outlines for cover letters and letters of enquiry, and abbreviations used in letters.
Tips on Essay Writing - A selection of tips on writing essays including a number of sample essays.
Speaking Out - A collection of thoughts, comments and articles regarding some of the issues and discussion points that have been raised in our ESL Forum.
ERIC Digests - The Educational Resources Information Center (ERIC) Digests are short reports that highlight topics of current interest in foreign language education, ESL, bilingual education, and linguistics.