No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Now if you type BrE, AmE, ESL, TEFL, ESOL, etc, you see that there's a dotted underline and if you put the mouse over the word, you can see the phrase in full. Please make suggestion for other teaching/learning acronyms used commonly here.

BrE, AmE, ESL, TEFL, ESOL, etc,
Is there a full list that we can check anywhere, so that we don't suggest things you already have in your 'etc'?

BrE, AmE, EFL, TEFL, ESL, ESOL, TESL, TESOL & CELTA

(I used Speakers of Other Languages for ESOL/TESOL- I could add Second or Other Language, but it would make it huge. We do have to be careful because it's not case sensitive. Also, too many and it may become intrusive. I wasn't sure whether to include IMO, which I still use.)

Last edited:
Reactions: 5jj
Incidentally, are all the abbreviations listed above acronyms? Some of them look dubious.

IMO would be useful - I didn't know what it meant when I arrived.How about ELT and ESP?

fjj, I have added them.

balakrishnanjik, it doesn't actually say that they are all acronyms; it's asking for suggestions.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5jj
IMHO?

LOL?
BTW?

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW, there are more defined here so you can look up others even if they are not included in this forum feature: Log In - UsingEnglish.com ;-)

I've added BTW but don't want to go overboard on that sort. ;-)

I've added BTW but don't want to go overboard on that sort. ;-)
We have a reasonable range of smileys available for the LOL sort of thing:lol:. - and that's not a hint for more. Corum's big jumpy things used to get on my nerves.

I am not pushing for these, merely putting them forward for consideration:

AusE, CanE, IndE, NZE, IPA, ALD, OALD, COD, OED, LPD (Longman Pronunciation Dictionary).

MW and AHD would be nice too. I'm not sure about COCA, COHA, BNC--maybe they need an automatic link too?

Last edited:
The software only allows for an expansion of abbreviations as far as I know. Will get busy with the suggestions when I have answered a few posts. Thanks. ;-)

I have had to cheat a bit with things like the ALD as it won't allow apostrophes as they are read as part of the code. If any start producing weird results I will take them out- I left COD out as it might cause confusion with the fish.

I have had to cheat a bit with things like the ALD as it won't allow apostrophes as they are read as part of the code. If any start producing weird results I will take them out- I left COD out as it might cause confusion with the fish.
"COD" is also an acronym for Cash on Delivery!
R21

Good point- all the more reason for leaving it out.;-)

RP could be added unless it someone sees a potential ambiguity.

I left COD out as it might cause confusion with the fish.
I don't really think that there is much possibility of confusion with fish, or Cash on Delivery, in this forum.

I don't really think that there is much possibility of confusion with fish, or Cash on Delivery, in this forum.

In fact there's no chance of any confusion if the full, non-abbreviated version appears in an adjacent balloon!;-)

R21

What's happened to the dotted underlining? It appears not to be there any more. I thought it was very helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back