Student or Learner
Native Language
Norwegian
Home Country
Norway
Current Location
Norway
Hi!

I wonder if the golden rule, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" can be rewritten to "Do upon to others as you wish others to do upon to you"?

Might be a stupid question, but have discussed it with some friends, and noone knows. Can`t think of a better place to ask. :)

Not really...the Golden Rule is the Golden rule. Your modifications sound strange to a native.

Not a teacher

Even if you were to change it, "Do to others as you would have them do to you' might work. 'Do upon to others..' is not English.

Even if you were to change it, "Do to others as you would have them do to you' might work. 'Do upon to others..' is not English.

Yes, this is the version used in the modern bible.

Okay, thanks alot for the replies. Was about to get it tattoed, so I really appreciate it! Gonne do the original instead, just to be sure I get it right.

Hi!

I wonder if the golden rule, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" can be rewritten to "Do upon to others as you wish others to do upon to you"?

Might be a stupid question, but have discussed it with some friends, and noone knows. Can`t think of a better place to ask. :)

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

(1) I found another translation in The Living Bible:

"Do for others what you want them to do for you."

(2) I know that it is none of my business; nevertheless, I

hope you will think twice (or even thrice) before you get tattooed.

I hear that it might be rather painful to remove a tattoo later on

in life.

I'd go for the shorest version possible if it's a tattoo -- Treat others as you wish to be treated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back