Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
Canada
Example:

A. In order to solve the technical problem, people who (1) know the manual, (2) are multi-lingual, (3) have extensive knowledge of the technology, and (4) have the necessary trouble-shooting skills are needed.

B. In order to solve the technical problem, people who (1) know the manual and (2) are multi-lingual and (3) have extensive knowledge of the technology and (4) have the necessary trouble-shooting skills are needed.

Q: Both of the two sentences are correct grammar and punctuation wise?

Thanks in advance.

Example:

A. In order to solve the technical problem, people who (1) know the manual, (2) are multi-lingual, (3) have extensive knowledge of the technology, and (4) have the necessary trouble-shooting skills are needed.

B. In order to solve the technical problem, people who (1) know the manual and (2) are multi-lingual and (3) have extensive knowledge of the technology and (4) have the necessary trouble-shooting skills are needed.

Q: Both of the two sentences are correct grammar and punctuation wise?

Thanks in advance.

"A" is better.

Example:

Q: Are both of the two sentences [STRIKE]are[/STRIKE] correct grammar and punctuation wise?

Thanks in advance.

There are far too many "and"s in sentence B.
In sentence A, it's fine except (in my opinion) you don't need a comma between "technology" and "and (4)".

I would also start with "In order to solve the technical problem, we need people who ..." as I feel that the "are needed" at the very end of the sentence is in danger of being consumed by the rest of necessity 4.

My version would be:

In order to solve the technical problem(s), we need people who (1) know the manual, (2) are multi-lingual, (3) have extensive knowledge of the technology and (4) have the necessary troubleshooting skills.

I agree with everything said, and would add that I'd delete "In order" and start right off with "To solve..."

If you want to omit the personal "we need" (although I like people and would have done it that way myself), you can say "Solving the technical problem(s) will require people who:..."

Bravo on the parallelism: Know, are, have, have -- all verbs. So many people don't do parallelism well.

Thanks everybody. I have two follow-up questions if you don't mind.

1. So while A is clearly the better choice, B is not necessarily wrong grammar/punctuation wise?
(I will definitely read and learn from what you wrote about the better options that you mentioned, but I am a little more concerned about whether what I have submitted is correct at this point.)

2. By the logic of the usage of parallelism, is the following sentence also correct?

Ex. Peter knows a lot about bicycles, is multi-lingual, and writes for his school paper.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Thanks everybody. I have two follow-up questions if you don't mind.

1. So while A is clearly the better choice, B is not necessarily wrong grammar/punctuation wise? That's right.

2. By the logic of the usage of parallel, is the following sentence also correct?

Ex. Peter knows a lot about bicycles, is multi-lingual, and writes for his school paper. Yes, it's OK.

Thanks in advance.

Bhai.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back