[Essay] ‘Promises are made to be broken.’ Do you agree or disagree?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EDarcy

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Note: Please help me to get rid of the ''he or she'' expression. I am trying to avoid sexist language but this leads to a lot of repetitions of ''he or she''. I have tried to use plural forms but they do not always fit the strucure of my sentence. I will be very glad if you pay attention to this. :)

It is often said that people make promises only to break them. In my opinion, I do not agree with this statement because promises are a commitment between two or more people and they are a sign of trust and sincerity. That is why when promises are made they should be also kept.

To begin with, promises are important part of people’s communication and their image. Giving a word to someone is a sign of respect and emotional attachment. Promises are means of showing that the one who makes them and keeps his or her promises is reliable and loyal. As a consequence, such persons facilitate their communication with their friends, family or even with their casual acquaintances because they are seen as reliable persons. For instance, if somebody promises his/her friends that he or she will not give away their secret but does the opposite, that person will be deemed dishonest and unreliable. However, if he or she keeps the promise it will strength the friendship between them. For these reasons, promises are not made to be broken. They need to be kept because they form the image of people and reflect the way others communicate with them.

Furhermore, promises are crucial for the way people treat themselves. Making a promise and keeping it is a measure for people’s mental strength and the awareness of their actual qualities. Breaking a promise can mean that a person is weak, does not possess self-respect and has low self-esteem. What is more, breaking a promise which has been made can also mean that one has no strong will. For instance, if a woman decides to stop smoking and give a promise to her and do not keep it, she will feel like she has betrayed herself. Such negative emotions are related to the broken promise. For these reasons, is better for people to keep their promises, not to break them.

It is a popular opinion that promises are often made only to be broken. However, this could affect the way people see each other and communicate. What is more, broken promises can influence people’s self-acceptance in a negative way. That is why I do completely do not agree that promises are made to be broken.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
It is often said that people make promises only to break them. In my opinion, I do not agree with this statement because promises are commitments between two or more people, and they are a sign of trust and sincerity. That is why when promises are made, they should be also kept.

To begin with, promises are an important part of people’s communication and their image. Giving a word to someone is a sign of respect. [STRIKE]and emotional attachment.[/STRIKE] Promises, when kept, [STRIKE]are means of showing that the one who makes them and keeps his or her promises is[/STRIKE] can indicate reliability and loyalty. As a consequence, [STRIKE]such persons facilitate their communication with their[/STRIKE] trust builds up between friends, colleagues, family members or even [STRIKE]with their[/STRIKE] casual acquaintances. [STRIKE]because they are seen as reliable persons.[/STRIKE] For instance, if somebody promises [STRIKE]his/her friends that he or she will not give away their[/STRIKE] to keep a secret but does the opposite, that person will be deemed dishonest and unreliable. However, if [STRIKE]he or she keeps[/STRIKE] they honour the promise and keep the secret, they will be highly regarded. [STRIKE]it will strength the friendship between them.[/STRIKE] For these reasons, promises are not made to be broken. They need to be kept because they [STRIKE]form the image of[/STRIKE] influence how we view people and reflect the way others communicate with them.

Furthermore, promises are crucial for the way people treat themselves. Making a promise and keeping it is a measure [STRIKE]for people’s[/STRIKE] of mental strength and [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] awareness of [STRIKE]their actual[/STRIKE] personal qualities. Breaking a promise can mean that a person is weak, does not possess self-respect and has low self-esteem. What is more, breaking a promise which has been made can also mean that one has no strong will. For instance, if [STRIKE]a woman[/STRIKE] someone decides to stop smoking and vows to do so but [STRIKE]give a promise to her and do[/STRIKE] not keep their promise, [STRIKE]it, she[/STRIKE] they will feel like [STRIKE]she has[/STRIKE] they have betrayed themselves. [STRIKE]herself.[/STRIKE] Such negative emotions are [STRIKE]related to the[/STRIKE] often the result of a broken promise. For these reasons, is better for people to keep their promises, not to break them.

It [STRIKE]is a[/STRIKE] may be popular [STRIKE]opinion[/STRIKE] to say that promises are often made only to be broken. However, this could affect the way people see each other and communicate. What is more, broken promises can influence people’s self-perception [STRIKE]acceptance[/STRIKE] in a negative way. That is why I [STRIKE]do[/STRIKE] completely [STRIKE]do not[/STRIKE] disagree that promises are made to be broken.

Status
Not open for further replies.