Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Italy
I don't understand why there is no "a" before either "fear of" in the following sentence.

“There are many types of fear, but the two that inhibit iconoclastic thinking and people generally find difficult to deal with are fear of uncertainty and fear of public ridicule.” — from Cambridge 9 Test 2 Reading Passage 3

Can I add "a" before "fear of" in this sentence?

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't understand why there is no "a" in before both either "fear of" in the following sentence.

"There are many types of fear, but the two that inhibit iconoclastic thinking and people generally find difficult to deal with are fear of uncertainty and fear of public ridicule."
If possible, Can I add "a" before "fear of" in this sentence?
Welcome to the forum.

Before we answer your question, you must provide the source and author of the quote. This is a legal requirement on the forum due to the strict copyright laws in the UK, where the forum is based.

curtisy

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Italy
Welcome to the forum.

Before we answer your question, you must provide the source and author of the quote. This is a legal requirement on the forum due to the strict copyright laws in the UK, where the forum is based.
Thank you for the reminder. I have corrected it as you requested.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In that quote, "fear" is simply used uncountably. You could add the indefinite article before them but it's not necessary and would, in my opinion, be less natural.

Status
Not open for further replies.