Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Danish
Home Country
Denmark
Current Location
Denmark
I saw that both "dieing" and "dying" can be used as the present continuous of "to die". What is the most common one ? And why is "dying" also correct ?

I saw that both "dieing" and "dying" can be used as the present continuous of "to die". What is the most common one ? And why is "dying" also correct ?

There is no such word as "dieing". www.websters.com which is a great source for spelling of Englsh words returned no word with the spelling entered. The correct spelling is "dying" which is 100% used.

Just as the "ing" form of the verb "to lie" is lying, the "ing" form of the verb "to die" is dying. Dieing is not a word.

(Not a teacher)

(Talking about the verb 'to die' as in - to cease to live) I've never seen 'dieing' used as a spelling of 'dying'. I only know 'dying' to be correct.

There is another verb - to die - which means to cut with a die (a die is a blade/sharp implement used to cut material in industry). The progressive form of this verb is 'dieing', but I doubt it is used a lot outside factories.

[Edit] - Others seem to be saying dieing is not a word, so I'm adding this link to dictionary.com. The entry is definition 2.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/dieing

Last edited:
Yes, it's always good to check before saying something is not a word, because one will often be surprised to find that such word in fact exists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back