• Thread starter margreen
  • Start date
  • Views : 118,525
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

margreen

Hi,

I am currently teaching about 25 intermediate/advanced students. Their mother tongue is spanish and I am having a heck of a time explaining the usage of "to" and "for". I do not have a problem explaining them seperately however the questions occur when it is not clear which word to use.

Can you give me some help, please.

Thanks,

Marcia

To + verb
For + noun/gerund
I stopped to have lunch.
I stopped for lunch.
;-)

That is a bit simplistic for what I am looking for. The problem exists because in Spanish they use "para" which is roughly translated into to and for. Hence, the problem occur with sentences like:
I listen to music.

In this case, your rule does not apply. Should I be teaching the verbs with there respective prepositions and the rule? For me it is not an issue but all of my students have a difficult time grasping the concept.

Thanks,

Marcia

There are so many different prepositional uses. Many have to be learned on a case by case basis. The rule I gave is a simple one that covers the basic dual use of 'para'. However, there are many exceptions where preposition is governed by collocation; in your example, would any Spanish speaker try to use 'para' there? I don't speak Spanish, but know Portuguese, and the Portuguese would be more likely to use nothing with 'listen'. :)

margreen said:
That is a bit simplistic for what I am looking for. The problem exists because in Spanish they use "para" which is roughly translated into to and for. Hence, the problem occur with sentences like:
I listen to music.

In this case, your rule does not apply. Should I be teaching the verbs with there respective prepositions and the rule? For me it is not an issue but all of my students have a difficult time grasping the concept.

Thanks,

Marcia

To and For

Use "to" to express

1. destination 1. We’re going to Paris.
2. before (in time) 2. It’s a quarter to 2.
3. until 3. We’ll be in the office from 5 to 6.
4. comparison 4. He won by 2 games to 3.
I prefer sleeping to working.
5. receiver 5. I gave the present to her.

Use "for" to express

1. “intended to belong to” 1. This is for you.
2. length of time 2. We’ve lived here for 2 years.
3. an arrangement 3. I made an appointment for May 3.
4. “in favor of” 4. Are you for or against nuclear arms?
5. reason 5. What did you do that for?
6. purpose ( + noun) 6. Let’s go out for a meal.
7. movement towards 7. They left for America this morning.
8. on behalf of (to help somebody) 8. I’ve cut my finger. Could you please
write a note for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back