"in decline" or "on the decline"

Status
Not open for further replies.

engstar

Member Type
Academic
I can only find the expression "in decline" in dictionaries. Can "decline" be used in the way of "on the decline", as it is with "increase" or "decrease" ("on the increase/decrease")?

jayan12

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I can only find the expression "in decline" in dictionaries. Can "decline" be used in the way of "on the decline", as it is with "increase" or "decrease" ("on the increase/decrease")?

Not a teacher.

HIV positive cases are on the decline

Mortality rates are on the decline

Global pepper output is on the decline

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
***NOT A TEACHER***Great question! Yes, both "in decline" and "on the decline" are used quite regularly by native speakers. (1) I wish I could tell you the difference -- but I can't. (2) They seem to be interchangeable quite often. (3) I get the "feeling" that "in decline" is often (but not always!!!) rather negative: Good manners seem to be in decline throughout the world (No further comment about that subject!!!). (4) My feeling (which could be 100% wrong) is that "on the decline" is usually (not always!!!) rather positive: Illiteracy in country X is definitely on the decline. In other words, maybe (maybe!!!) "in decline" refers to something that is hard to measure and may be controversial: Some people say nation X is in decline; "on the decline" seems to be something that can be measured better: H1N1 seems to be on the decline in the United States.

Status
Not open for further replies.