Teaching English when it is not your native language

Status
Not open for further replies.

emytf

Member Type
English Teacher
Good morning!
I wonder if anyone can help me. I am British and have been teaching for a long time, and now my daughter would like to travel and teach English as a foreign language. She is bilingual but has a Spanish passport.She has passed an English exam at the Official Language School, and also has a degree in Business Studies where English was one of the subjects (in Spain). Can she sit an exam to qualify her to teach English? I know there are many courses available on-line, and also long weekend workshops etc. Are they also available to those who do not hold a British passport?
Thank you all in advance. I am new to this site so hope I am doing everything correctly!
Regards,
Emy

:hi:

I'm sure she could do a CELTA - face-to-face is best. The passport is no problem, as far as CELTA is concerned; she'd need a student visa, that's all, if she studied in England. Google for Cactus - a reputable web-based business that arranges all sorts of CELTA courses, all over the world. Many non-native speakers of English make great ELT teachers.

b

Thanks so much for your reply. You will make someone (my daughter) very happy!
Regards,
Emy

CELTA is intensive. If she has no experience teaching then I'd suggest taking a shorter, simpler course and getting a couple of years teaching under her belt before going for something higher level like CELTA.

This link might help: Qualifications for Teachers - the ICAL TEFL wiki

Thank you so much for that link. It has certainly made things clearer for both of us. My only concern is when it is a course based in America, the English is obviously American English. I presume this would be a disadvantage?
Thanks again,
Regards,
Emy

It depends. Some online courses are based in the US, some in the UK. Ours happens to be in the UK but we get a very large number of American students.

Practically speaking it doesn't make much difference as far as we are concerned. As long as a student is consistent (that's to say they stick either to American or British spelling) then we're happy and I expect most providers are the same.

My daughter and I both speak and write British English although my computer often contradicts me!
It all sounds very positive to me and I will be discussing it with my daughter this evening.
Thank you again - the website was really interesting and your help invaluable:)
Cheers,
Emy

Thank you so much for that link. It has certainly made things clearer for both of us. My only concern is when it is a course based in America, the English is obviously American English. I presume this would be a disadvantage?
Thanks again,
Regards,
Emy

:-? :-D

'Disadvantage' to whom? I imagine we native speakers of Br Eng are pretty seriously outnumbered!

b

Hi! I did not mean to offend anyone when discussing American and British English. However, here in Spain "British English" is generally what is taught. I am sure that in various parts of the world, such as South America, American English would be the choice.
Thanks to you all for your comments and advice.
Mary:)

Great! I was a bit worried ... Anyway, looks like I may take the course myself as every certificate/diploma helps! I think my daughter is going to do a Masters in voluntary work (I don´t know if that exists in the UK).
Thanks to everyone - this is a really friendly forum.
Regards,
Emy (Mary)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back