Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
Dear people, is the word 'gonna' also frequently used in BrE and AusE? I watch Hollywood movies and it's used a lot that it leads me to think it's characteristically AmE. But apparently not as I watch some British production. How 'safe' is it to be used by non-native like me, say, in a first-time conversation with a person I just met? Thank you. And please correct my tenses if there is any mistake.

Linguist__

Member Type
Student or Learner
Dear people, is the word 'gonna' also frequently used in BrE and AusE? I watch Hollywood movies and it's used a lot that it leads me to think it's characteristically AmE. But apparently not as I watch some British production. How 'safe' is it to be used by non-native like me, say, in a first-time conversation with a person I just met? Thank you. And please correct my tenses if there is any mistake.

(Not a teacher)

In informal conversation, yes. In Scotland at least, I hear something similar to 'gonna' a lot, and also say it. I rarely hear 'going to' enunciated as clearly as that.

Anglika

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Other
My advice would be to avoid intentionally using it. It comes naturally as an elision owing to speed of speech since most speakers are too lazy to use full pronunciation.

vredes

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
Linguist: "I rarely hear 'going to' enunciated as clearly as that." What do you mean by that? Is there another way that is less clearly?

RVMatt

Member Type
Other
{Not a teacher but a listener}
Frequently, "going to" is pronounced less exactly as "goin tuh" with the final g in going dropped and the "oo" sound of "to" changed to an "uh" in this part of the US (Mid-Atlantic states). I agree with a previous post that "gonna" should not be intentionally used, as it is associated with persons with inadequate educations.

vredes

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
''Associated with persons with inadequate educations.'' Really? I thought it's only a matter of proper use of English as Anglika point out. At least that's how I understand his/her (?) points.

Anglika

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Other
''Associated with persons with inadequate educations.'' Really? I thought it's only a matter of proper use of English as Anglika point out. At least that's how I understand his/her (?) points.

Correct. But of course lazy/sloppy speech is often connected with lowgrade social position and poor education.

Linguist__

Member Type
Student or Learner
Linguist: "I rarely hear 'going to' enunciated as clearly as that." What do you mean by that? Is there another way that is less clearly?

I can't really write orthographically, but I'll illustrate with phonetics (in my own accent to be more consistent):

Going to - ['go.ɪŋ tʉ]
Gonna - ['go.nə]
Goin' eh - ['go.ɪn ɪʔ]
Gonnae - ['go.nɪ]

The most common in Scotland is the last one. All of them are simply 'going to' produced in connected speech. Anglika's point of not doing it intentionally is useful. It should occur because of fluency and 'laziness' - the speaker isn't consciously choosing 'gonna' from their lexicon.

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
My advice would be to avoid intentionally using it. It comes naturally as an elision owing to speed of speech since most speakers are too lazy to use full pronunciation.

Does the same applie to "musta, gotta, wanna, ain't" ?

vredes

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
Wanna, ain't, gotta are also products of connected speech?

Status
Not open for further replies.