Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
American Samoa
Current Location
Hong Kong
Can I use where as a conjunction to define 'minority government' in this sentence:

It serves as an energizer in a majority government, where the ruling party has more than 50% of parliamentary seats.

Edited for verb: Thanks Parser

Last edited:
just i'm about to be a teacher and replying yr question.

where can be used as conjunction that refers to define place. in the sentence "It serves as an energizer in a majority government, where the ruling party more than 50% of parliamentary seats" majority government refers to place so where can be used here as conjunction to define what refer to place. hope replay is clear

Can I use where as a conjunction to define 'minority government' in this sentence:

It serves as an energizer in a majority government, where the ruling party more than 50% of parliamentary seats.
***NOT A TEACHER***Ulysses, good morning. May I give you my viewpoint? (1) I think a verb is missing after "party." It perhaps should read "where the ruling party has/holds ....(2) My grammar book calls "where" in such a sentence a so-called "relative adverb" because it does two things: (a) it connects the two clauses and (b) "where" modifies the verb "has/holds." (3) My book says that "where" in such a sentence = a prepositional phrase. In other words, you could say: It serves as an energizer in a majority government, IN WHICH the ruling party. .... Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back