Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Great Britain
Please please please can anyone help. I am not a teacher but a 42 year old employee with limited ability when it comes to letter writing. I am no better now than I was the day I got a 'U' grade in my 'O' level English exam 26 years ago.I have been given an opportunity to further my career however I will need to improve my basic grammar and general use of the English language. Can anybody tell me the best way to learn the required skills spending a couple hours each evening on this site?

(this has taken me 20 minutes to write)

mmasny

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
If you stick around here for some time, you'll certainly improve. You can ask questions, read questions of other members and try to answer them (at least in your mind). Try to get through the polls too.

Susan612

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The best way to improve your writing is to practice. You could try writing some sample letters of the type that your job requires and post them here for feedback.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Based on what you have written, your "skills" seem to be OK even though it took you 20 minutes. Suggest you "google" "writing topics" and click on and explore "400 Writing Topics, Prompts and Suggestions". There are many other websites that could be helpful but this one seemed interesting and informative. Then prepare a few paragraphs and submit them here for review.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Start by reading The Elements of Style by Strunk & White.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Please please please can anyone help. I am not a teacher but a 42 year old employee with limited ability when it comes to letter writing. I am no better now than I was the day I got a 'U' grade in my 'O' level English exam 26 years ago. I have been given an opportunity to further my career, however, I will need to improve my basic grammar and general use of the English language. Can anybody tell me the best way to learn the required skills, spending a couple hours each evening on this site?

(this has taken me 20 minutes to write)
Hi boozle, where are you in the UK? Your English writing is not bad, I have introduced a bit of necessary punctuation into your text, but your use of the language is ok. If you have any questions about specific points, please post them, I will be glad to help you.

boozl

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Great Britain
Help required

A site report written by me earlier this week.

Steve,
Please find listed below the issues discussed and agreements reached with ---- ------- yesterday (11-03-10)

RAMS
1.0 - Risk assessment and method statement issued for approval rejected!
1.1 - Method statement to be re-issued taking main contractors recommendations into account.

DELIVERIES
2.0 - Procedures discussed and agreement reached.
2.1 - All deliveries to be accepted and unloaded as specified in method statement.
2.2 - Main contractor to be given a minimum 24 hours notice whenever possible.
2.3 - Delivery schedule to be issued to the main contractor whenever possible.
2.4 – Delivery slot each week, on the same day and at the same time would be beneficial.

GENERAL
3.0- Assurances were given that plant deck floor plinths would be completed by 22/4/10. Deliveries of dampers and ductwork have been arranged accordingly.
3.1- Plant level loading bay scaffold will need to be adapted.
3.2- Some plasterboard walls will need to be erected before the majority of plantroom ductwork can be installed. This will need to happen alongside the 1st floor ductwork plasterboard wall installation.
3.3 - Assurances were given that the 1st floor ductwork installation would be able to commence 07/04/10. Deliveries of dampers and ductwork have been arranged accordingly.
3.4- Not all, but many, plasterboard walls will need to be erected before any specific area can be deemed ready for ductwork installation.

Kind regards

Brian

Can anybody help me improve on this. On reflection I am not really happy with the format or content.

Status
Not open for further replies.