• Thread starter Tyfus
  • Start date
  • Views : 1,817
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tyfus

how do i analyse this sentence ?
"His love of elegance, beauty, and precision is often ridiculed by the local bumbling policemen."

I am supposed to do it by giving a complete syntactic analysis (word level, function level ect)- but it is so hard. can you help me?

I think you will have to explain for me what you mean by "word level" and "function level".

how do i analyse this sentence ?
"His love of elegance, beauty, and precision is often ridiculed by the local bumbling policemen."

I am supposed to do it by giving a complete syntactic analysis (word level, function level ect)- but it is so hard. can you help me?

scale rank:

word-level:
[det His][N love][prep of][N elegance], [N beauty], [conj and][N precision][V is][adv often][V ridiculed][prep by][det the][adj local][adj bumbling][N policemen].

phrase-level:
[NP [det his][N love][PP[prep of][N elegance]], [N beauty], [conj and][N precision]][VP [V is][adv often][V ridiculed][PP [prep by][NP[det the][adj local][adj bumbling][N policemen]]]].

clause-level:
[MC[NP[det His][N love][PP[prep of][N elegance]], [N beauty], [conj and][N precision]][V is][adv often][V ridiculed][PP[prep by][NP[det the][adj local][adj bumbling][N policemen]]]].] -- Note the placement of full stop in relation to the brackets

sentence-level:
[S/MC[det His][N love][PP[prep of][N elegance]], [N beauty], [conj and][N precision][V is][adv often][V ridiculed][PP[prep by][NP[det the][adj local][adj bumbling][N policemen]]]].]

Horror! :roll: Now you see, or so I trust, why grammarians felt the need to invent an easier representational method for illustrating sentence structure. This is where tree-diagrams enter the story. :up::oops:

So far I have carried out formal analysis. Now let us turn to functional analysis:

[His love of elegance, beauty, and precision] [is often ridiculed] [by the local bumbling policemen].

[His love of elegance, beauty, and precision] = S
is ridiculed = V
often = adjunct
[by the local bumbling policemen] = adverbial (formally a PP)

SV

thematic roles:

S = patient, theme
[by the local bumbling policemen] = agent, :?:source

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back