Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Danish
Home Country
Denmark
Current Location
Denmark
Suppose I (have) worked in China for 5 years, but I don't work there anymore. What's the best way to describe this : "I worked in China for 5 years" or "I have worked in China for 5 years" ?

If I say "I have been working in China for 5 years" this means that I'm still working in China, innit ?

1. Best way? "I worked in China for 5 years".
2. Yes.

1. Best way? "I worked in China for 5 years".

Yes, you are absolutely right. We use simple past with ‘for’ and ‘since’ when the actions have finished having no relevance with the present or at the time of speaking. You can say the same thing as:
I worked in China for 5 years, but then I left in 2003 to join a new assignment here.
The present perfect is used for actions especially with for and since which started in the past and are still continuing, The example sentence with proper context could mean:
I have worked in China for 5 years in XYZ company, and I am still working there but in another company.

not a teacher

If you are talking about your experience, the perfect tense is more appropriate.

I have worked in China for 5 years.

have been working - yes, it means the action is still continuing.

The present perfect is used for actions especially with for and since which started in the past and are still continuing,

I think you mean the present perfect continuous.

not a teacher

If you are talking about your experience, the perfect tense is more appropriate.

I have worked in China for 5 years.
Not if you are specifying the length of time. If you said "I have worked in China; I worked there for 5 years", it would be correct.
Otherwise, the simple past "I worked in China for 5 years" is correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back