shade

Status
Not open for further replies.

HARDWORK

Member Type
Student or Learner
1) Lets stand in shade or it should be Lets stand in the shade (why the if the is to be used)
(is the word shade used correct or do we say something else)..also anyother better staement

2) I keep on putting and loosing wait (is this correct also any other better staement)

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
1) Lets stand in shade or it should be Lets stand in the shade (why the if the is to be used)
(is the word shade used correct or do we say something else)..also anyother better staement

2) I keep on putting and loosing wait (is this correct also any other better staement)

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Good morning, Hardwork.

(1) Your sentences are very nice, but maybe they need to be

changed a little:

(a) Let's stand in the shade.

(i) I cannot explain why you need "the." Maybe someone else will.

(ii) Let's = Let us.

(b) I keep putting on and losing weight.

(i) When you get time, check your bilingual dictionary to study the

difference between "lose" and "loose"; "weight" and "wait."

Have a nice day!

P . S. Maybe this explains why you need "the."

(a) As you know, we use "the" when we refer to something that we know about: I bought A book yesterday. THE (that) book is very nice.

(b) You and a friend are walking on a very hot day. You and your friend see some shade under a tree. So you both know that there is some shade under the (that) tree. So you say:

Let's stand under the (that) shade (that we both see).

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Usually, if, on a sunny day, you recommend to someone to stand in the shade it's because you see a shady area available. This makes it a specific area and a countable noun which is why we add "the." If there is no shade in sight, you might say to your friend "this sun is giving me a headache, let's find some shade." Since the speaker has no specific area of shade in mind, "shade" is an uncountable noun and he uses "some" instead of "the." :)

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

To make the verbs in your sentence agree it would be better to either say:
I keep putting on and taking off weight.

== or ==

I keep gaining and losing weight.

PS As the Parser said, "loose" and "lose" are two different words. "Loose" is an adjective and "lose" is a verb. But don't feel too bad - I see MANY native speakers who still confuse those two words! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.