Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
UK
What is 'Dinner en route'? What does it mean exactly?

Thanks.

Context is very helpful for us.

If the person said "We'll get dinner en route" it means they will eat while on the way to wherever they were going.

Without context, I don't know.

If the person said "We'll get dinner en route" it means they will eat while on the way to wherever they were going.

It sounds like a line from a travel brochure.

Not a teacher

Without context, I'd agree with Barbara. BTW "en route" is French and could mean "on the way" into English -as Barbara pointed out. Anyway, the sentence makes sense to me.

Last edited:
There are several 'en X' phrases in use in English, all borrowed from French I think (but creating a phrase of this sort is a 'productive mechanism' in circles where people know and use French, so an 'en X' phrase may sometimes be coined in English: I can't think of any at the moment, but I'm sure I've heard native English students of French doing it).

Examples of the commoner sort are 'en route', 'en famille' and (rarer) 'en passant'; there are also the more clearly French borrowings related to cuisine, such as 'en croûte' or 'en daube'.

b

PS - Of course, the dinner in the OP may be entirely served wrapped in pastry. In that case, there could be a typo - 'dinner en croûte'. Probably not though ;-)

b

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back