Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Do we ever pronounce cough as [kaf] or is it always [kof]?

I'm not sure what you mean by [kaf] and [kof], but there exist two pronunciations of the word which employ the vowels denoted in Ukrainian by "о" and "а" (according to Wikipedia, I never studied Ukrainian phonology).

I'm not sure what you mean by [kaf] and [kof], but there exist two pronunciations of the word which employ the vowels denoted in Ukrainian by "о" and "а" (according to Wikipedia, I never studied Ukrainian phonology).
I was asking if "O" in the verb cough is sometimes prounounced as "A" depending on that English speaking country the speaker comes from.

I was asking if "O" in the verb cough is sometimes prounounced as "A" depending on that English speaking country the speaker comes from.
I know of only two pronunciations, /kɒf/ and /kɔf/.

I know of only two pronunciations, /kɒf/ and /kɔf/.
The first is the standard BrE pronunciation, the second the standard AmE.

Ostap, it's impossible to know for sure what you mean by "O" and "A". These letters can denote various sounds.

Ostap, it's impossible to know for sure what you mean by "O" and "A". These letters can denote various sounds.

"a" like in father and "o" like in saw?

Are you serious?;-) If any misguided person is tempted to answer this question, they will be assuming that you pronounce those words accurately - and that so does anyone else reading this. Your question has been answered several times, and if you learn to use the IPA (I don't honestly see how anyone can learn any foreign language without - it's really a tiny investment in effort for a huge return) you will find out the answer. Saying 'sounds like X' is a recipe for making mispronunciations systematic.

b

Reactions: 5jj

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back