Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Dear all,

What is the meaning of the following words:

Apparently it's a no-no to threaten to fire a Native American by pushing him out of a window and shouting, Geronimo

That was supposed to be humourous! Can you kindly give me a clue about what is meant to be able to traslate it in an culturaly understandable way?

Thanks a lot.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Geronimo was an Apache chief. He was very famous for his fight against the white people. "Geronimo" is also what some parachutists yell when they're about to jump. The sentence looks to me like a failed attempt at making a joke out of it.

Your sentence starts with the word "apparently", which suggests that something was said before that could shed some more light on the joke. What was said?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have no idea why or when people started yelling "Geronimo" when they jumped out of airplanes. Here's one explanation: Why do we scream "Geronimo!" when we jump? I have no idea if this story is true. Seems plausible.

So, you jump out of a plane (with a parachute) or you bungee jump, or you jump off or out of anything at extreme height, and you yell "Geronimo."

The real Geronimo was an Native American.

The alleged humor of this writing was linking the fact that you have a REAL Native American and you were talking about yelling Geronimo.

The alleged humor is that it's okay to joke about pushing an employee out the window, but not if you link it to their race in a way that is culturally insensitive.

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'll admit I laughed myself silly when I first saw the film Hot Shots and there was a scene were parachutists were jumping out of an airplane. Each one yelled "Germonimo!" prior to jumping. The last guy in line was dressed in full Native American regalia and yelled "Me!" before he exited the plane. :-D

maiabulela

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
I have no idea why or when people started yelling "Geronimo" when they jumped out of airplanes. Here's one explanation: Why do we scream "Geronimo!" when we jump? I have no idea if this story is true. Seems plausible.

So, you jump out of a plane (with a parachute) or you bungee jump, or you jump off or out of anything at extreme height, and you yell "Geronimo."

The real Geronimo was an Native American.

The alleged humor of this writing was linking the fact that you have a REAL Native American and you were talking about yelling Geronimo.

The alleged humor is that it's okay to joke about pushing an employee out the window, but not if you link it to their race in a way that is culturally insensitive.

Thanks a lot for the link. :up:

maiabulela

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
I'll admit I laughed myself silly when I first saw the film Hot Shots and there was a scene were parachutists were jumping out of an airplane. Each one yelled "Germonimo!" prior to jumping. The last guy in line was dressed in full Native American regalia and yelled "Me!" before he exited the plane. :-D

Thanks a lot foro the explanation. It helped a lot.

I think I got the equivalent in our culture. A man is like a superman "a funny version lol" and whenever he jumps he says "FARAFERO" :-D

here is the link just to get an idea "it's in Arabic" but I think you will get the picture.

YouTube - ‫

Thanks a lot

Status
Not open for further replies.