Present Simple or Progressive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
"I stay with my sister until the work's finished" could describe a regular event. "I am staying with my sister until the work's finished" describes somebody's intentions.

:)

tdol said:

To me, "I'll be staying with my sister until the work's finished" expresses a future intention stated in continuous time, whereas "I'm staying with my sister until the work's finished" expresses a present event stated in continuous time. As for ?"I stay with my sister until the work's finished", I'm at a loss at to what it means. It's not acceptable in my dialect of English. :shock:

Cas :)

Example:

• I am the assistant manager at X, where my sister is the manager. We don't have regular hours. I stay with my sister until the work's finished, then we go home.

Eh?

The 'I stay' sentence makes no sense to me as the 'while' clause suggests it's a one-off event. ;-)

how about when we use "since"
I stay with my sister since the work's finished.
I am staying with my sister since the work's finished.

which one is correct?

for this topic "until"
i choose stay for it
reason:
stay, in here means a period of time
am stay, means a point
can you say that it is a point? No, so i choose stay

Neither is correct- since points backwards.

'am staying'is correct because it shows that the action is temporary. ;-)

RonBee said:
Example:

• I am the assistant manager at X, where my sister is the manager. We don't have regular hours. I stay with my sister until the work's finished, then we go home.

Eh?

I agree with you. It is a perfectly reasonable sentence when it is used to describe a habit. :wink:

MikeNewYork said:
RonBee said:
Example:

Eh?

I agree with you. It is a perfectly reasonable sentence when it is used to describe a habit. :wink:

It's about time somebody agreed with me.

:wink:

RonBee said:
MikeNewYork said:
RonBee said:
Example:

Eh?

It's about time somebody agreed with me.

:wink:

I often do. :wink:

RonBee said:
"I stay with my sister until the work's finished" could describe a regular event. "I am staying with my sister until the work's finished" describes somebody's intentions.

Same here...:)

Saying "...............untill the work's finished means that the action "stay" is temporary so we use the present progressive tense.

I think it expressing a complaint : " i am staying with my sister until the work's finished "
you will finish your work( or your sis will finish her work ) and now you have to stay with my sister ...making complaint ( may be)
it corect : " I am always staying wiht my sister until the work's finished

I`m staying..until the work`s finished - planned action

i am staying with my sister till her work is finished so u con go home see u in the morning

i voted for am staying..

i think if u wanna use stay it's better this way (is wat i think)

" i'll stay with my sister until the work's finished "

ok, "until" indicates that the work ain't finish yet so the use of will is truly appropriate..:-D

" i stayed with my sister till the work's finished "

i changed until to till and stay to stayed to show it's a past event...

the narrator shows she,he is determined by using the progressive tense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back