[Grammar] Book Months Out

Status
Not open for further replies.
No.

It means you need to book a band nine months in advance.

Rover

I couldn't find an entry in many dictionaries relating to this use of "out". Could my example be slangy?

I couldn't find an entry in many dictionaries relating to this use of "out". Could my example be slangy?
I haven't come across "out" used like that in BrE before.

Does this mean "book something X months out" is informal/nonstandard English?

Does this mean "book something X months out" is informal/nonstandard English?
Not necessarily. Bhaisahab and (by implication) Rover, have not come across this in BrE; neither have I. This suggests that it is not standard/common usage in British English - that's all. Please try not to read too much into what people say.

Not necessarily. Bhaisahab and (by implication) Rover, have not come across this in BrE; neither have I. This suggests that it is not standard/common usage in British English - that's all. Please try not to read too much into what people say.

This means the original example IS nonstandard/noncommon British English.

For many of us there is a subtle difference between 'not standard usage' and 'non-standard usage', and a bigger difference between 'not common' and 'uncommon'. You seem determined to read into our words what you want to read.

"book something X months out" could be an Americanism....

"He fell out the window." = "He fell through the window."

From that, "out" = "through". Then "book something X months out." could mean "book something through X months." :-D

Closing thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back