Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
why do they put "up" in there?

why do they put "up" in there?
To the amusement of my better half, I still talk of 'going up' and 'coming down'. I went up (started my university life) in 1964, and came down (left university, graduated) in 1967. I doubt if many people do that nowadays.

thank you!!

I forgot to say , you graduated in 3 years wow!

I forgot to say , you graduated in 3 years wow!
I know that I am brilliant, a member of MENSA and all that, but a three-year undergraduate course is the norm in the UK.

a lot of people I know in brazil take five years to graduate it doesnt seem that bad to me until now

what is your QI?

I got confused, in portuguese is Quociente de inteligência(abbreviated to QI)

To the amusement of my better half, I still talk of 'going up' and 'coming down'. I went up (started my university life) in 1964, and came down (left university, graduated) in 1967. I doubt if many people do that nowadays.

Hello,

Is it more formal to use "go up" and "come down"?
By the way would you please teel me what do you mean by "To the amusement of my better half"?
Thank you

Hello,

Is it more formal to use "go up" and "come down"? I think it's just old-fashioned

By the way would you please [STRIKE]teel[/STRIKE] tell me what [STRIKE]do[/STRIKE] you mean by "To the amusement of my better half"?
When I use such expressions, I bring a sardonic smile to the face of her who must be obeyed, 'er indoors, the missus, the wife, Mrs fivejedjon.

She is, regrettably, of a lower social class than I

once I asked a english teacher why they added the (up) he tell me that it is for emphasize
but on the dictionary says the same told by fivejedjon

Last edited:
can someone give me a quick opinion on that?

Last edited:
Fivejedjon's and the dictionary are right about the phrase, but it's not used much nowadays. I can't see that up adds emphasis- not without more context.

Once I asked an English teacher why they added the (up). He [STRIKE]tell[/STRIKE] told me that it is for [STRIKE]emphasize[/STRIKE] emphasis,
but [STRIKE]on[/STRIKE] the dictionary says the same [STRIKE]told by[/STRIKE] as fivejedjon.

Please see the amendments I have made to your post in red. Be careful with your use of capital letters and punctuation. Thank you.

When I use such expressions, I bring a sardonic smile to the face of her who must be obeyed, 'er indoors, the missus, the wife, Mrs fivejedjon.

She is, regrettably, of a lower social class than I
Okay, thank you so much for the explanation, and excuse me for the mistakes, I didn't check my post before submitting it.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back