Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hey,

Does a "priest" do the marriage ceremony or is it a "bishop" or a "minister"?
Any other answer is accepted.

thanks,;-)

The title of the person who conducts the marriage will depend on which religion he/she/the couple are (or non-religious of course).

The title of the person who conducts the marriage will depend on which religion he/she/the couple are (or non-religious of course).

What's the title in Christianity?

In Church of England Christianity, I believe it's a vicar.

thanks,;-)

In the so called "non-conformist" Christian churches, Methodist, Baptist etcetera, it's "Minister".

thanks a lot,:)

Catholics have priests. Other Christians denominations use the title "minister."

A bishop is the leader of the church in a given area. Priests answer to the bishop. A bishop could do a marriage ceremony, but that is unlikely.

bishop, vicar, priest, deacon, minister, pastor, reverend . . .

Yes, it depends upon the denomination.

For sure it will be a "church official" who will perform the ceremony.

In a register office it will be the registrar.

In a civil ceremony, the officiant is sometimes a "justice of the peace".

At a humanist wedding, it's a "celebrant" although I have heard the phrase "humanist minister" used once at a funeral.

bishop, vicar, priest, deacon, minister, pastor, reverend . . .

Yes, it depends upon the denomination.

For sure it will be a "church official" who will perform the ceremony.
The ceremony in the US can also be performed by a justice of the peace, a judge or any other civil official licensed to perform a marriage ceremony.

At a humanist wedding, it's a "celebrant" although I have heard the phrase "humanist minister" used once at a funeral.
In the wedding ceremonies in which I have officiated, we have used 'celebrant'.

And if you live in Pennsylvania or Maryland, which have strong Quaker populations, in which there is no "minister" you can join yourselves in marriage, as long as you have two witnesses.

I did that. Our friends witnessed us "unite ourselves in marriage." Pretty cool, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back