There is\are

There ___ a couple of things I need to do.

• Total voters

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I see a difference between a couple and a couple of things.

:)

tdol said:

There are a couple of things....

a couple of things = two things

'things', plural, is the object, so the verb 'are' is plural, too.

:D

Casiopea said:
tdol said:

There are a couple of things....

a couple of things = two things

'things', plural, is the object, so the verb 'are' is plural, too.

:D

That's the difference. :D

We say a couple is. (That is because couple is seen as a unit, while a couple of phrases are construed as plural.) Example:

• A couple is two.

:wink:

In colloquial BE, the singular form is very common and, living in London, I have found myself saying it. It's another example of us being lax with singular and plural. ;-)

I've been thinking about this one and wondering which really is used more often--is or are. I think it is a bit muddled. I think here (USA) we most often use are with couple. On the other hand, it seems that with pair we most often use is.

• There are a couple of people in the room.
    There are a couple of dogs running down the street.
    There is a pair of scissors in the drawer.
    There is a pair of socks on the bed.

Interesting.

[Edited to put the "are" in the first sentence.]

There's a pair of socks in the drawer.
There's a unit in the drawer.

There's a couple of pairs of socks in the drawer.
There are several units.

They're a pair of thieves.
They're a couple of thieves.

Casiopea said:
There's a pair of socks in the drawer.
There's a unit in the drawer.

There's a couple of pairs of socks in the drawer.
There are several units.

They're a pair of thieves.
They're a couple of thieves.

The first pair: both singular. The second pair: both plural? ("There's" is increasingly being used to mean "They are".) The third pair: both singular.

What's the rule? Is there a rule?

So , what is the correct . You haven`t give us the correct answer yet !

I selected ( are) cause of ( things ) which is plural :) .

I`m I true or false

When I read all the replies to this thread "There is\are" I couldn't understand who was right and who wasn't. Concequently such discussions do not help students improve their knowlegde.
I myself think "there is" is followed by a singular noun, i.e "There is a couple" is correct.;-)

As you can see from the results, there is disagreement on this. There are cases where some use the plural and other the singular.

As you can see from the results, there is disagreement on this. There are cases where some use the plural and other the singular.

And what do you think? ;-)

LGSWE:

In fact, such examples [singular '"there's + plural noun phrase] are somewhat more common in conversation than the standard constructions with plural verb plus plural noun phrase.

The special behavior of there's is matched by a similar tendency for here's, where's, and how's:

Here's your shoes.

Where's your tapes.

How's mum and dad.

A: How's things?

B: Not too bad.

LGSWE:

In fact, such examples [singular '"there's + plural noun phrase] are somewhat more common in conversation than the standard constructions with plural verb plus plural noun phrase.

The special behavior of there's is matched by a similar tendency for here's, where's, and how's:

Here's your shoes.

Where's your tapes.

How's mum and dad.

A: How's things?

B: Not too bad.
So ther is no explanation for it. We can use this construction as we wish: both there is and there are even if they are followed by a singular or a plural noun.;-)

I wouldn't use it freely in formal contexts, but informally, the contracted singular is used fairly often with a plural. ;-)

Last edited:
I wouldn't use it freely in formal contexts, but informally, the contracted singular is used failry often with a plural. ;-)

Studies have found that "there's + plural" predominates in speech.

I'm not surprised. Is it common to all or most regional varieties?

Back