Quite\Rather 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are different rules for American and British English.

In British English, 'quite good' can only ever express limited admiration or approval. If you emphasize the 'quite', it becomes even less positive and can be quite insulting.

'Rather good', by contrast, is British understatement for 'good', with a flavour of 'I admit it's good', or 'surprisingly good'.

In American English, 'quite' can, as I understand it, mean 'very good'. Whereas 'quite good' can never mean 'very good' in British English.

I am a British author and academic.

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

:flasings:

but whay you have to put either in the senteces if you can just say.. the food would be good or bad.. or not???

waooo. what big differences of cultures because in USA we can say "quite good" without any problem but in UK it's a little problematic...

waooo. what big differences of cultures because in USA we can say "quite good" without any problem but in UK it's a little problematic...
Misunderstandings are possible, I suppose. (Between
Americans and Brits.) Of course, misunderstandings between individuals (whether they speak the same language or different languages) is always a possibility.

:)

Yes ! pretty good or hella good

"Hella good" is not natural English - at least, it's not natural BrE. 'Hella' does not exist in that variety.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back